• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wine Logo

ocean502

Hi All
I wanted to know if anyone knows how I can make these "tiles" look like tiles instead of squares, they want them to look as though they are overlapping each other. I think they need something around the edges..What do you think?
Thanks, Susie Ü

Attachments

• Raw Wines Logo.jpg
    Raw Wines Logo.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 91

Pat Whatley

A couple of things. First, don't use the same image for all three tiles, the repeating patterns looks bad. Second I'd all a little dimension to them, probably along the bottom edges to give them a 3-D look which will make the overlap show up a lot better as well.

Lose the drop shadow, you don't need it in this case. Also, the black shadows on RAW aren't even. It looks like the one on the W got squashed a little bit.

ocean502

Dimension, thats what I am having trouble with, like a dark grey box under each one over lapping each other?

luggnut

i don't like the stylized grapes combined with the realistic textured tiles.. i would stylized the tiles maybe?

the shadows are weird like pat said and i wouldn't make them go up, it looks unnatural to have the light source coming from the bottom (and the grapes light source from the top)

luggnut

It ain't great but here is kinda what i had in mind with stylized tile.. a real quickie design before i go home

Attachments

• RAW.jpg
    RAW.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 89

Lau Designs

I must say that there are some elements that I like and some that I don't. I will start with the dislikes first. I am not too big a fan of the over all color contrast. The tiles are too similar in color. I would keep that base color that they are now but tint them with a few colors that compliment each other. Also I'd like to see the grapes either purple or dark burgendy like red and the vine a green. Lastly the layout of the grapes makes me think that it looks like bowling pins especialy with the letters in the diamond shaped tiles. Reminds me of the old style sinage that you'd see used alot on bowling alleys.
But I must say that I love the use of the vine and the font used for the wines and the location of it. I think that your design has great potential!!
Just my 2 cents.

Wes Phifer

Anyone want to play pool? That was my first thought. I guess I am more of a pool and beer guy than a wine guy though.

zmatalucci

Honestly,,, I'm drunk right now, and I wouldn't drink it.
Standby for some constructive criticism, if you want it... but right now, I'm in no shape to offer anything!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Other than a piss poor use of space, worse use of color, and typography direct from a high school newsletter, it's OK I guess.

Lose the ghastly copperplate with the ridiculous drop shadow and that awful dated script. Lose the silly tiles, they contribute nothing. Lose the rack of ball bearings, likewise, they contribute nothing. Lose the meaningless and confusing fretwork, it looks as if someone horked on your final design.

In other words, start over.

ocean502

The customer had given me a drawing of what she wanted it to look like (overlapping tiles, scroll, and grapes), and a pic of a chrome wall hanging. I guess I let that influence my color choices, and the "rack 'em" grapes..Thanks all for your imput!!

Dan Antonelli

Convert it to grey scale, then see how it looks. Aside from layout issues, the color values are not working. Dont let your customer dictate layouts unless they happen to have been schooled in graphic design theory.

Jillbeans

I think what other have said is correct.
The tones are all so similar.
And the font choices are not so spectacular.
There is a big hole in the design between the tiles and the grapes.
I think it's the customer's idea for the R A W on seperate tiles.
But can you put it togther so it reads better?
Mine is sort of a mishmash of gradients, which I personally don't care for.
But I was trying to pull the elements together.
And I was looking at the tiles on my bathroom floor, they are not stacked, they are grouted.
(and need cleaned)
If tiles were not adhered, they could be tripped over in a nocturnal potty break.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 67

nodrenim

How about a picnic type basket with the grapes flowing out one end with two bottles of wine sticking out the other end, with the Raw Wines copy on the front of the basket? Sorry, I don't have the necessary tools to post a rendering for you. Just my 2 pennies. BTW, Jill, I like the new look! Peace

rjpjr

RAW Wine... Isn't that grape juice? :biggrin:

I think it's the customer's idea for the R A W on seperate tiles. But can you put it togther so it reads better?

This was my thoughts as well. IMHO, the three "tiles" in the original post command more attention then the letters that rest within them which means that it is difficult to read.

It sounds like the customer has definite ideas but maybe you could show them a different arrangement of the tiles.

Attachments

• Raw-Wines-revision-2.jpg
    Raw-Wines-revision-2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 73

Circleville Signs

Jill and rjpjr have given you some good ideas with their takes here.

At the end of the day, a design project needs to be completed swith the CONSUMER in mind, NOT the business owner.

Wine is considered somewhat of a niche, luxury item (with the exception of Boone's Farm and Two Buck Chuck). I'm guessing that this is a boutique bottler or negociter, and will therefore have an end bottle price of $10-$20/bottle. Either way, in order to do your job properly this is a question you need to have answered.

The first thing that I would do is go to the grocery or your local liquor store, and look at the logos/labels of wines that fall in this price range. What are the common themes/elements? I can guarantee you this - you won't find ANYTHING like your attempt here.

As Dan said - DO NOT let the customer dictate your design. Fast track to bad work and bad reputation going down that path.

Do some research, get a feel for what is selling and what isn't in your client's niche, and then come up with a design that incorporates the best of what is selling in your client's niche along with what makes your client "unique".

The wine market is dying - don't put your client in an even earlier grave.