Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wingdings & Dingbats

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Decal_Designs, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Decal_Designs

Decal_Designs Member

May 10, 2003
    Fox Lake
    Just curious as to why image fonts are called wingdings or dingbats, and if you wanted to use one, what is the best way to find it?

Tags:
  2. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

You Sure Its Only Asprin Your Takin?hehehehe

3. Decal_Designs

Decal_Designs Member

May 10, 2003
    Fox Lake
    :rolleyes: LOL

4. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    There are lots of wing dings and dingbats here in the links section under fonts/freeware. Every font has a discription written about it and the ones with wing dings etc. say wing dings or dingbats.

George

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    If you're looking to know what the images look like you should use a font viewer like Typograf, Font Navigator or Font Thing. Or simply type out a full character set on a page in any word processor or illustration program, then with your wings and dins installed ant the text selected, change to each font and print the page.

6. whynow

whynow Verboten

Jun 22, 2005
    There are actually some good images in those fonts that you would never guess. One day, a slow day, I sat down and typed every character on the keyboard (upper and lower case) then went through my entire font collection and replaced the characters with the graphic fonts and printed them out for reference. There are some great ones: geographic symbols, multiple MiniPics, Plants, media, food, animals. IF you have free time, I would suggest it.