• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wipers on back windows

How are you all doing the graphics on the back window, when the templates ( I use provehicle outlines) do not show where the wiper is on the back windows. Is there a standard measurement as to the length of the wiper and how high up it is. do you all keep the graphics up at a certain height. Just afraid some smaller text will sit right under the blade, client wants to use the whole window but again the templates don't show the wiper
Thanks in advance

letterman7

I just tell the client they can't use the wiper and don't worry about placement. Wiper sweeps vary to manufacturer, but most will go top to bottom (or vice versa) so you have no real place to put a graphic if the client still wants to retain use of the wiper.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Well, you have to physically measure the window to get the CORRECT measurements. Don't go by ANY Template. period. And you lay out according to those measurements and adjust to avoid the wiper.
When you install, just take it off....ratchet and socket is all you need. I will then tape up the graphic, get it lined up, and mark the spot where the wiper blade post is. Then go your table and cut a perfect circle about 1" diameter. The whole graphic will slip over the hole and make your life a lot easier.

Edit: this is for perf....I assumed this was what kind of install you were referring to. If only cut vinyl, disregard the info regarding the wiper removal.

T_K

I agree with this too. We don't use templates. We take photos of the actual vehicle along with measurements of doors and such.

We always take measurements and photos even if using a template. You never know if the body lines or trim is accurate, if the template was built to accurate scale, etc.

The templates are really nice for creating clean layouts though, without all the extraneous background, bad lighting, etc.

Baz

Outline vehicles are great for designing but are not accurate when it comes to moldings, lights, badges and window sizes.

Always take measurements off of the actual vehicle for accurate final designing when going in production.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
First, unless the subject window is flat glass, merely taking a picture and/or taking measurements of a three-dimensional object will inherently be inaccurate. You need to make your own template by taping a sheet of paper to the window in question and traces its outline with a sharpie. Then spread this template on a flat surface and take a picture of it. Now you have properly rendered a three-dimensional object in two dimensions. Import the photo into your software, make it full size, and layout your image on it. How to make it full size? Lay a 16"x24" framing square on it when you take its picture. Import the image. Create a rectangle that fits exactly over the framing square. Map the image into the rectangle. Make the rectangle 16"x24". Unmap the image. There, as if by magic, you have a full size two-dimensional image of the rear window.

Secondly, don't fret overmuch about rear window wipers. They don't wipe all that often and they won't do a whole hell of a lot of damage to whatever vinyl you put on the window. The vinyl will be lost in the mists of time before the wiper blade makes sufficient passes over it to do it grievous harm.

neil_se

We've been doing the same process as Bob describes for about 2 years, the small amount of time invested has dramatically reduced rework and our customers get a much better result.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...You need to make your own template by taping a sheet of paper to the window in question and traces its outline with a sharpie. Then spread this template on a flat surface and take a picture of it. Now you have properly rendered a three-dimensional object in two dimensions. Import the photo into your software, make it full size, and layout your image on it...

This method is too time consuming for simple windows. An oversized rectangle works fine. I have, however, used this method for certain body panels so no cutting would be needed on the vehicle. And yes I know about the cut tape stuff. Not a big fan of it.