• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless electronic message board?

SignManiac

I have a client interested in a new future sign, incorporating a LED electronic message board. Problem is their building is set quite a distance from where the sign would be installed.

He wants to know if there is a wireless way to control the panel and what the range might be?

Thanks for any information.

CES020

I've seen a wireless antenna on Daktronics electronic signs and I didn't see them dig up the parking lot to the building when then installed it, so I'd assume all the big players in that market have solutions. Was there one you had in mind?

Craig Sjoquist

Yes you think it's out there it is 2010, Ive seen receivers / antennas on signs, interested myself wonders how heavy they are.

Letterbox Mike

I know Watchfire has a radio connectivity option, we quoted it a year or so ago for a sign, it wasn't terribly expensive at all. Actually, it makes alot of sense if you're retrofitting an existing cabinet or structure with am EMC, no need to retrench and bury the communications cable to the display. We've never used it though. I do know another local show who does excellent work installs almost exclusively Daktronics displays with radio interface, so they must work pretty well.

Circleville Signs

Every Watchfire EMC that I have ever sold has been wireless. It works really well, and connectivity is supposed to be up to 300 yards (with direct line of site). The controller unit can be plugged in via USB to any laptop or computer that has the Ignite software installed.

The furthest any of our installs have been from the controller unit has been around 110 yards thought - FWIW.

cgsigns_jamie

99% of the EMC's we install use radio communication.

I have a customer in Savannah with a DAK unit that's set about 300' from the building. The signal comes from inside the building and has to travel through two concrete block walls. Works every time.

If you're unsure have your rep from Daktronics or Watchfire bring a demo to the site and test to make sure it'll work. We've done that a few times before selling a job.

You should do onsite demo's anytime you're trying to sell an EMC anyways. Once the customer sees one up close and personal they want it.

Steve G.

I have installed Daktronics displays with wireless and they work well. It Does need to be direct line of sight, though.

Another thing to consider is the option of just sending the message directly to the sign by connecting a laptop to it. You would create all of your messages in your software, then go to the sign and download it.
It would depend how often they are changing messages and the sign's location. It's a little leg work but it is an option. The wireless controllers also cost a few bucks $$$

steve

daveb

General Know-it-all
Some people have to learn the hard way:banghead:, oh well... this is my experience, if yours is different, good for you. NEVER LET A DAK SALESMAN KNOW WHO YOU CUSTOMER IS! They'll go around you and sell directly to your customer and cut you out totally, you might get the install if you're lucky. I've had it happen so many times it's ridiculous. Watchfire will NEVER do that to my knowledge. And yes, I've tested Watchfire radio units up to a mile away "line of sight" and they work just fine.
Plus Watchfire has one of the best tech support teams I've ever worked with. Am I partial? Yes, but for good reason after years of dealing with them.:thumb:

daveb you are not the only person to have experienced that with DAK.

and yes to all the above regarding wireless...all of the big boys that quote you the message board will be familiar with wireless.

when they all first started offering wireless it was 'buggy' and frustrating to say the least and i dreaded the issues i knew were going to come but in many situations it was just the best way to do the project but things have improved tremendously. the only issues on the last projects i was involved with just like the posters above were distance, line of sight..great improvements have been made.

cgsigns_jamie

SignManiac.. Don't worry about DAK selling direct to your customer. The reps in FL are good at keeping their dealers happy. I've heard many stories of DAK selling direct to customers but the reps I know wouldn't do that. In fact my DAK rep sends ME leads on a regular basis.

lol that's funny Jamie i know of DAK sending leads to sign companies on projects that were quoted that were not closed immediately so they passed the lead onto other sign companies in the area, the only problem was that both sign companies knew each other well and worked together on projects on a weekly basis...

i have no problem with their product but when there are multiple people that have had experienced their various 'creative sales tactics', myself i would recommend excercising caution, simply do not let them know who you are providing quotes for..better safe than sorry.

UFB Fabrication

DAK for sure sells direct to sporting and stadium type jobs. I also believe they have preffered installers and service companies. I think they have a nice product but am surprised they sell both wholesale and retail. We built a sign recently for another shop that had a watchfire unit in it and it was set up wireless. I am not sur of the distance but I bet it was over a 1000'

On a second note I talked to a customer this week who installed part of a sign structure and the customer had purchased the EMC direct. Single face 14gs sadly it is not DAK or watchfire and is not UL listed. The local code inspector caught it and will not let them turn it on.

cgsigns_jamie

Dan,

I have to agree that it's not a good idea to let any of your vendors know too much about a project until you've sold the job.

I've just seen so many posts (on S101 and other forums) that make it seem like DAK is intentionally going around to sign companies and stealing their customers. In my experience that's not the case. DAK has gone above and beyond to help us sell their units. They even gave us our own demo trailer.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Jamie, I just can't let this go... I know for a fact that on a recent civic center project locally DAK bypassed their own salesmen and sold the job directly from the factory cutting out their own sales people:frustrated:, I know the center manager. With the internet they can sell to your customer from across country and tell their own salesmen to take a flying leap, they can always find fresh meat to send out there as salesmen. I've just been bit too many times, I investigate a little farther than some do.
Nuff said:cool:

CES020

I have a guy that does some light selling for us and he has managed a number of digital sign installs before he got to us. One thing he tells me every time it comes up is "Don't use DAK, those guys will cut you out in a heartbeat" and then he proceeds to tell stories about multiple jobs lost because DAK went around the sign shop directly to the customer AFTER quoting it for the sign shop.

It appears to be happening in more than one geographic location with 3 people recounting stories of it all from different regions.