• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless Routers

Does anybody have any recommendations on wireless routers? I've been using dlink and really like them but I have had to replace them after about three years of use. My current router is a dir-825 and it is loosing wireless signal strength. We have 6-10 wireless devices connected at all times. I have been happy with it but not sure what the average life span of a router is. If this is normal I would by the same thing I currently have. Just wanted to see what everyone else likes.

Thanks
Stuart

401Graphics

Im in the market for one too. Im using a really old linksys, and it loses signal all the time for about a minute then comes back. and if i ever send a file from computer to computer over the network then it will definitely drop the signal and will have to be totally reset before working again.

choucove

We use mostly Linksys, but also have used ASUS wireless routers. Either way, my experience in general is getting the cheaper wireless routers will result in less quality. By that I mean not as great of range as well as being more finicky and having to be reset/reconfigured occasionally when they just freeze up. However, on the higher end routers I've had very little to no problems at all and been quite impressed with their performance. I've installed several Linksys E3000 routers for homes and businesses in our area, I use one at my house even. I can get the signal a block away.

If you're running that many wireless devices off of your wireless signal, then I'd really suggest looking into a more robust router. Those cheaper wireless routers are really meant for like five or less wireless devices. Going above that is just overloading what many are capable of efficiently handling.

visual800

Ive always used linksys from the getgo. BUT when we went wireless I started using a netlink router. Plug it in and go. Very easy to set up more user friendly than the linksys

Kottwitz-Graphics

I had a linksys im my home for years, but when my family started getting more wireless, i always suffered. My stepson would be on his playstation, and i couldn't get on line... so i went and bought a belkin. My wifes IT guy said we only needed a 100 or a 150, but i got a 600... now when hes on the game ( which is while he is awake ), I can still get on line on my tablet.

SignBurst PCs

I am a Linksys/Cisco fan.

Along with brand choice comes functionality. Your wireless adapter may work better with certain routers, i.e. single channel vs dual channel. A,B,G, or N? If N, which version of N?

CES020

We were having a lot of issues and someone recommended changing to a different firmware that gives you a lot more control. We fought the router for way too long. I used DD-WRT and installed it on the router and I have been really really happy with it. Not only hasn't it given us 1 single problem since then, but the control panel gives you control over things you don't get out of the box. It's easier to setup and manage, and you can also change wireless signal strength yourself.

Before anyone hops on that bandwagon, I'll say that they tell you openly if you crank up the wireless signal too much, you can damage the router, but at least YOU have control over that.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It takes about 15 minutes to do once you follow all the trails and paper work to make sure you're doing it right.

It was referred to me by some serious computer geeks and it's been really great. I'd never go back to using an off the shelf package again, unless it was better than DD-WRT.

Plus, if you're looking to buy a new one, it's work taking the risk to give it a try. You've got nothing to lose.

I am a Linksys/Cisco fan.

Along with brand choice comes functionality. Your wireless adapter may work better with certain routers, i.e. single channel vs dual channel. A,B,G, or N? If N, which version of N?

Can you recommend a model? I have other people recommend Cisco as well but no one mentions a model.

choucove

Can you recommend a model? I have other people recommend Cisco as well but no one mentions a model.

Recommending a specific model is very hard, as it all comes down to your specific needs and budget. For instance, if all you need is a wireless connection, without needing to cover a larger area than say a few rooms or one floor of a house, and doesn't need to be really fast for connecting to other computers or devices within your network, and don't have any additional needs like USB print sharing or NAS directly from the router, then I'd say go with the E1200. It's our general-purpose go-to wireless router of choice. However, from there it gets more complicated simply based on what you are needing.

Chris85

I used to sell them years ago, Netgear was always the most well received. I like the Netgear 900 Dual Band right now the best. Good luck!