• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help With a my Gerber Edge & GSX plus plotter

Jburns

Yes- you can try the reset- but I would write down all settings before ( but you cant see them).
For the LE - with unit off- hold reset / turn on while holding- keep holding until you see OFFLINE on the display.

If reset doesn't work.
At 1:09 in your video- there is a block with five screws- two wires should go to the fan - two of the other wires should be headed to the upper axis board (P872)- voltage needs to be tested with an actual digital volt meter on the screws.

dLsigns

I didn't know you could do that? I am going to try that tonight..At this point...I'd try anything to get this machine working.

dLsigns

So here is the latest on my edge issues.....it has been a long time since i last posted cause I've been pretty bummed since i found out what is wrong with the machine.
I contacted ND Graphics in Toronto and the tech there suggested, what some of you suggested....undo then redo all the connections on the boards and do that several times. The tech thought that since the machine was sitting for a long time there maybe some 'corrosion' that is interrupting some of the signals. Even thought i saw it printing, i mentioned to him, transporting the machine may have dialoged some of that 'corrosion' and is now preventing the machine from working properly.

I did that a few times and still nothing. I called back and the tech suggested to bring it in for a closer look. A few days later i drove it to ND and dropped it of for the day. When i dropped it off i told them the issues and hope they could do something for me. They we very nice and accommodating and took the machine and mentioned that ti shouldn't take to long before a tech could look at it. The family and i were still in T.O. a few hours doing stuff when we got a call from ND with a diagnosis of the machine. I was expecting that a fuse had blown or one of the connections were bad. Or the machine needed a good cleaning out from all the dust inside. But, no, and this is the part that hit me hard. The tech said he could not get the Edge to work either so he could not do a proper diagnostic . So, he couldn't tell exactly what was wrong with but suspected that it had a main board failure / bad cpu and it would cost $5000.00 to fix it and to get it working properly.
I was not expecting that and was taken back by what he said because i saw it printing before i bought it and thought it was going to be a 'small' issue'. i was expecting $1000 maybe $2000 to fix it.

When i showed up to pick it up the machine, they didn't charge me for they did, which was really nice. They also felt bad that they could do anything for us. But i did ask what would cause something like this to happen. He suspects that even though i saw it printing and working fine, although it had been sitting for some years, once i moved it and brought it home i may have unknowingly damaged something, he wasn't exactly sure. He has only seen a hand full of issues like mine over the years he has worked there.

Now the machine sits at home. I might try and fix it myself with parts i find online. Or look into getting an Edge FX....not sure.

Thanks to all for you comments and suggestions, they were all very helpful!

Billct2

Wow, that is a bummer. But replacing a board or CPU shouldn't cost that much...do they fix Edges regularly?I'd want a second opinion. If it is dead and you get another, get the same one, that way you have parts.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Very surprising report. The one time I ever had a problem like yours, my Gerber distributor had Gerber send out the two PC boards in the Edge. I switched out each individually and tested while the distributor coached me on the phone. One of the two was the problem. I then boxed the unneeded board and the bad board back up and returned them to Gerber. My distributor then billed me $1,100.00 for the board. All in all, I was out of service for two days.

dLsigns

ok...so here is the latest on on my Edge situation....
i have done nothing with it since i was on here last. I have been busy with my little business and have been doing just vinyl jobs and getting my printing done somewhere else in the mean time. But i like to be able to do my own printing and give my customers options. So i have been saving up my cash for a used Edge FX and will be getting one before xmas.
What i'm wondering is....will my flexi 8, that came with the broken machine work with the Edge FX? Or will i have to buy the Omega program, as suggested buy the distributor?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Flexi 8.6.2 supports the Edge FX. Check in you version 8 production manager to see if it is listed. If it isn't then you have the choice of upgrading your Flexi to the latest version, subscribing to the latest version of Flexi, or buying a license for the latest version of Omega.