Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wondering about the process... burned sign panel? distressed and painted?

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by nolanola, Jul 24, 2019.

1. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    Hey Forum,
    We recently had a request to match the design of a sign (pic attached) -- not the text/graphics, just the panel.

The panel looks like it has either been distressed, routed, stained, and painted
    OR
    I have heard about a process where wood can be treated with a chemical and then torched/charred as a way of preserving? Could that be what was done here?

Does anyone know anything about that process or can confirm that is has been distressed/routed/stained/painted?

Thank you for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Cool sign! I saw this technique being used on a show about building off the grid

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That's what I was thinking, but his pic looks like it had been coated with something thick and then charred heavily.

4. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You're right, like it was painted then charred, but I think there would be a risk of that layer peeling off.

5. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    It does look charred but are the words routed? Almost looks like they are just painted on.

My process...distress, stain, paint with exterior paint, sand the edges then seal with exterior sealer. It's probably less time consuming for a similar look. I don't router my letters, I use stencil mask, paint and lightly sand them before sealing it. I've made hundreds of signs this way, the process works well and could be more budget friendly.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    There's no way to know for sure, unless the person who made that is here to tell us.

This appears to be wood from some kinda roof or flooring which had some thick sheeting on it and it was either intentionally burned or in a building fire. The stuff was removed from the premises and someone said, that would look neat, if we could make it into a sign. I would imagine the other side is all nice and clean so they could joint the wood and create a good surface for mounting. The face side was probably scraped and all the loose stuff removed and then clearcoated the living daylights out of it and then either hand carved or CNC'ed.

Had a guy years ago brought me a whole buncha wood he wanted me to use for a sandblasted sign. It was the walls from a pig sty and he thought it would be great to use this 100 year old wood over again. Problem is, while it was still in tack, it was warped like crazy, no grains matched whatsoever and nothing was true. Til we would've planed it and made it somewhat usable for a sign, it would've looked like new wood, but still bent all to heck and not stay together all that well. We went with redwood, like all the other signs we used to do. I have no idea of what became of his pig wood.​

7. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Google "Shou Sugi Ban". It's a Japanese process of burning wood planks to use for cladding or decoration and might be what was used on that sign. Some places sell pre-burned panels.

8. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW

9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    that looks like pallet wood with an dark gray oil stain on it. Just get a quart of black oil base and a small amount of white and thin with mineral spirts and brush on about two coats after first coat dries.

10. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the feedback! This is all very helpful.

11. CharlieA

CharlieA New Member

May 30, 2019
    Centennial Colorado
    Looks like railroad ties to me.

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Did you ever try to pick up a railroad tie ?? I didn't think so. Besides, they are way too small to be that, but even if they were, that setup would never support that kinda weight.

13. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    So they want you to provide the paneling only, no copy at all?
    Or do you mean the panel with different art?
    If with art...I would burn the wood apply a pattern and hand route the best I could, paint and seal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    • Informative Informative x 1