• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wondering about the process... burned sign panel? distressed and painted?

nolanola

Hey Forum,
We recently had a request to match the design of a sign (pic attached) -- not the text/graphics, just the panel.

The panel looks like it has either been distressed, routed, stained, and painted
OR
I have heard about a process where wood can be treated with a chemical and then torched/charred as a way of preserving? Could that be what was done here?

Does anyone know anything about that process or can confirm that is has been distressed/routed/stained/painted?

Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• 6b1734cc5cb4ba0e0d5e51b5d6ad6e8f.jpg
    6b1734cc5cb4ba0e0d5e51b5d6ad6e8f.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 520

Andy D

That's what I was thinking, but his pic looks like it had been coated with something thick and then charred heavily.

Billct2

You're right, like it was painted then charred, but I think there would be a risk of that layer peeling off.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It does look charred but are the words routed? Almost looks like they are just painted on.

My process...distress, stain, paint with exterior paint, sand the edges then seal with exterior sealer. It's probably less time consuming for a similar look. I don't router my letters, I use stencil mask, paint and lightly sand them before sealing it. I've made hundreds of signs this way, the process works well and could be more budget friendly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no way to know for sure, unless the person who made that is here to tell us.

This appears to be wood from some kinda roof or flooring which had some thick sheeting on it and it was either intentionally burned or in a building fire. The stuff was removed from the premises and someone said, that would look neat, if we could make it into a sign. I would imagine the other side is all nice and clean so they could joint the wood and create a good surface for mounting. The face side was probably scraped and all the loose stuff removed and then clearcoated the living daylights out of it and then either hand carved or CNC'ed.

Had a guy years ago brought me a whole buncha wood he wanted me to use for a sandblasted sign. It was the walls from a pig sty and he thought it would be great to use this 100 year old wood over again. Problem is, while it was still in tack, it was warped like crazy, no grains matched whatsoever and nothing was true. Til we would've planed it and made it somewhat usable for a sign, it would've looked like new wood, but still bent all to heck and not stay together all that well. We went with redwood, like all the other signs we used to do. I have no idea of what became of his pig wood.​

DesireeM

Google "Shou Sugi Ban". It's a Japanese process of burning wood planks to use for cladding or decoration and might be what was used on that sign. Some places sell pre-burned panels.

Johnny Best

that looks like pallet wood with an dark gray oil stain on it. Just get a quart of black oil base and a small amount of white and thin with mineral spirts and brush on about two coats after first coat dries.

CharlieA

Hey Forum,
We recently had a request to match the design of a sign (pic attached) -- not the text/graphics, just the panel.

The panel looks like it has either been distressed, routed, stained, and painted
OR
I have heard about a process where wood can be treated with a chemical and then torched/charred as a way of preserving? Could that be what was done here?

Does anyone know anything about that process or can confirm that is has been distressed/routed/stained/painted?

Thank you for the help!
Looks like railroad ties to me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever try to pick up a railroad tie ?? I didn't think so. Besides, they are way too small to be that, but even if they were, that setup would never support that kinda weight.

Andy D

- not the text/graphics, just the panel.
!

So they want you to provide the paneling only, no copy at all?
Or do you mean the panel with different art?
If with art...I would burn the wood apply a pattern and hand route the best I could, paint and seal.