• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wondering About Wrapping

Ditchmiester

I've never wrapped a car before but after seeing all of your posts and how great they all look I'm wondering if wrapping my car for fun would be a good idea or am I thinking about something that is way over my head. I don't want to make it seem like what you guys do is easy because I know if I try to do this it will be extremely hard. I have a 2008 Ford Focus 4 Door. Its green and I would like to try and turn it black or blue. What do you guys think?

MikePro

go for it. plenty of youtube vids out there showing the detail of the squeegee/knife work.
plan for waste and get plenty of extra material.

best way to learn, is hands-on!
I practiced plenty on billboards and hard-hats before my first full vehicle wrap.

Pat Whatley

EVERYBODY sucks at it the first time, might as well make all the mistakes on your own vehicle before you go trying to sell one.

IGD

im in the same boat, im about to do a color change on one of my personal vehicles and plan to use that as a learning expirience and order lots of extra as mentioned cause i know im gonna ef up somewhere no matter how slow i take it

Ditchmiester

Wow thanks guys. I was a little nervous on how my post would be taken. I'm definitely going to try and figure out how to do it. What is the easiest material to use for a beginner?

IGD

Wow thanks guys. I was a little nervous on how my post would be taken. I'm definitely going to try and figure out how to do it. What is the easiest material to use for a beginner?
ive been asking around and researching, I think for a color change avery would be best, I heard the colors are great and its very easy to work with

Ditchmiester

I have been thinking about this for a little while and i'm going to try to figure out how much it will cost me in materials to do. The idea of wrapping a car really intrigues me.

IGD

alot cheaper than paint and if done right it looks awesome, Ive plasti dipped a car before too and it came out pretty badass

SlightlyChilled

well if you do a gloss wrap it shouldnt show up anymore that it is already correct?

Not so but I was more talking about high marks like drit and chips that have a raised part to them. It makes a high point that you can see plane as day....

Ditchmiester

Okay I'm going to be trying my first wrap sometime in the future. I'm starting out small and wrapping our company trucks tailgate. I bought a roll of Oracal 3165RA to use. What laminate should I use. I will be printing it on my HP L26500.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Its all about trial&error. Start wrapping and you might mess it up but next time don't do the same mistake. Also try 3M180cv3. Let me know what you think about it compared to oracal.

Wraptrick

I can already tell you're gonna love it. Just make sure your measurements are correct and give yourself a little extra. Just take it slow and learn how the vinyl acts.. Once you know how the vinyl works, you can wrap pretty much anything.