• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wondering About Wrapping

Ditchmiester

Its all about trial&error. Start wrapping and you might mess it up but next time don't do the same mistake. Also try 3M180cv3. Let me know what you think about it compared to oracal.

I looked up this material from my supplier and its almost 4 times as expensive as the Oracal 3165RA that I purchased. Now I realize that mine is not a cast material so it is going to be cheaper but for right now while I experiment with how the process works and if I'm even going to be good at it I will stick with the cheap stuff. Thanks for the info though.

WrapZone

There is no way you can wrap a car with 3165RA it will come off where within the firts 12 hours wherever you have streched, it will be 100% wasted money unless you have a Volvo 740 that you are wrapping (totally square) :)

HulkSmash

I looked up this material from my supplier and its almost 4 times as expensive as the Oracal 3165RA that I purchased. Now I realize that mine is not a cast material so it is going to be cheaper but for right now while I experiment with how the process works and if I'm even going to be good at it I will stick with the cheap stuff. Thanks for the info though.

no, stop.
Use the right stuff it will fail, and not give you the true wrapping experience

Ditchmiester

Okay if that is not a good vinyl to start with them what to suggest to use as a cheaper vinyl to learn with. I don't want to spend a 1000 dollars on a roll for practice and for something that is going on our 17 year old truck. It doesn't have to be on there very long. If it looks good and we have fun doing it then maybe we will work on designing something for the whole truck in that case I would want to use top of the line vinyl.

HulkSmash

Okay if that is not a good vinyl to start with them what to suggest to use as a cheaper vinyl to learn with. I don't want to spend a 1000 dollars on a roll for practice and for something that is going on our 17 year old truck. It doesn't have to be on there very long. If it looks good and we have fun doing it then maybe we will work on designing something for the whole truck in that case I would want to use top of the line vinyl.

you can spend like 800ish for avery combo.. nothing cheaper then that....

J

john1

How can you truly try wrapping if your not using the right material? Wrap material vs calendered material is a total different animal. One conforms, Other just goes on flat surfaces.

Ditchmiester

Here is your Christmas gift. Request samples from 3m and give it a proper try. I think they send you about 5 yards of film and matching laminate.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/ToolsAndSupport/RequestSamples/

Learn it the correct way or just don't do it all...please! There is a time and place for non-cast material and this is not it.

Wow. I am a fan of this Christmas present. I will definitely give this a go.

As for the material I chose. I already had that material in house for a different job and thought why not try it. But after everyone shooting that idea down I will try the 3M cast material sample. Also if I wanted to use Oracal would the 3951 be a better choice?

WrapZone

Wow. I am a fan of this Christmas present. I will definitely give this a go.

As for the material I chose. I already had that material in house for a different job and thought why not try it. But after everyone shooting that idea down I will try the 3M cast material sample. Also if I wanted to use Oracal would the 3951 be a better choice?

Oracal 3951 is if you want to print on the material, if you just want a simple color change to solid color you should go with oracal 970 RA. My opinion is as a beginner you coul go with any of the premium brands. 3M is the most expensive brand (atleast in Europe where I live)

Ditchmiester

Yeah I'm going to start by designing the tailgate section and wrapping that and if everything goes smoothly from there I might try designing the whole truck and wrapping our company truck.