Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering if there's a vendor out there offering.....

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Mascitti Bro, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    ...Omegabond, or that type sign blank for sale and would ship "cut-to-size"? (I've found it to be kinda difficult to find a good source to have it cut for me locally, making it unrealistic to buy it by the 4x8 sheet)

Tags:
  2. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    When cutting that type of material, I have found a metal shear is the best method..
    Have you looked at getting one or checked with local metal shops?
    Having material shipped rather than brought on a delivery truck would add up real fast.

3. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Depending on how much volume you do, a Keen Cut or Saw Trax could be a decent purchase. We buy sheets and cut them to 18x24s, 2x3s, 12x18s, etc. WAAAAY cheaper than buying Max Metal sign blanks from Grimco.

4. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    My experience has been that folks with the perfect tool to cut them for me (local metal shops, roofing companies, race car shops) have no time to deal with my puny requests, and it feels like i'm inconveniencing them greatly. It would be much better if I could find them cut to size ahead of time then shipped on the handful of occaisions I need them. (frustrating- I just wanna find a reliable source....)

5. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    If Grimco delivers to your area, check with them, I'm pretty sure they do offer cut to size, and maybe rounded
    corners too..
    Just a FYI, If you take your time you can get a decent cut using a straightedge and
    a utility knife.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Reece will cut to size and deliver, but I think cutting has a cost.
    I have a hitachi skill saw that loves to eat acm. Gives it a cleaner edge than my router. BTW, I just discovered skotchpads will take the sharp edge off a fresh sheet of acm, before jamming it in the plotter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You lost me on that... ACM in a plotter?

What type of blade do you use?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The stuff is super easy to cut.

9. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Even while wearing sandals.
    I always try to make my 1st pass with very little pressure so it keeps
    from wobbling & then the next pass or two will follow the 1st cut.

10. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Grimco will give you one cut for free. Then it's like a dollar or 5 dollars or something like that. So if we need to make a 2x16, we can have Grimco cut the 4x8 in half. But we also buy 5 or 10 sheets at a time to keep on hand, so if we need to cut them up, we just get out a ruler and knife. Use the big Olfa knife that uses the wide blades. Makes quick work of it.

11. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Merchant Member