• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Won't find crop marks

Colin

SP540i

I'm trying to print-lam-cut a small job (sample decals) and it doesn't seem to want to find the crop marks. It does it's little search-dance elsewhere and starts cutting in the wrong spot - sometimes fully off the 12" piece of vinyl I have in the machine - and on the cutting strip!

It is a gloss lam, and I've tried lightly sanding the crop marks with 400 grit in order to knock down the sheen, but that didn't work.

And exactly where are you supposed to return the knife to when bringing the laminated media back into the machine?

B-RAD Graphics

have to make sure that you have enough in front of cropmarks and and the back..for get exact amount ..but like 3"...and when u feed back in after laminating...u have to have in line with the cutting strip exactly. gloss is not the prob i always use the gloss lam. good luck

B-RAD Graphics

i just re read and see it thinks its finding ..just cutting in wrong spot..that mess up..I thought it was not detecting..have no Idea what the pro is there sorry.

Colin

Yes, VersaWorks 4.10

I have lots of material fore & aft of the print.

Are you supposed to put the knife over the little printed black rectangle as the base point?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Line the crop marks up along the white strip... center the circles on them. You said it was finding the crop marks but cutting in the wrong place - is the media width set to the exact size it was when you printed it? Did you center it when you printed? That can cause problems - especially if your media width is not the same from print to cut.

cdiesel

No need colin. A lot of times this has to do with the material size. Sometimes the pinch rollers get moved in between printing & cutting. Also, when printing/cutting, do not check "Center on Media".

For this job, try moving the pinch rollers slightly outward. You'll also want to "get media width" before sending the cut job, and change the scale up 1% and down 1% back to 100% (or whatever you printed it at originally). This may or may not work. Sometimes once the job is screwed up you have to reprint.

Colin

No need colin. A lot of times this has to do with the material size. Sometimes the pinch rollers get moved in between printing & cutting.

But if it's supposed to go out and search for reg marks, why should that matter?

Also, when printing/cutting, do not check "Center on Media".

Correct - I just left it at the bottom.

For this job, try moving the pinch rollers slightly outward. You'll also want to "get media width" before sending the cut job, and change the scale up 1% and down 1% back to 100% (or whatever you printed it at originally). This may or may not work. Sometimes once the job is screwed up you have to reprint.

Will try. Thanks.

Colin

Just spoke with Rep. The mistake I was making was placing the knife over the black rectangle as the Base Point (as the manual seems to imply) instead of just leaving it at it's default far-right postion.

Colin

Ah the joys of new equipment ... lol ... You'l get it perfected soon enough.

Ya, the stress with this kind of stuff isn't good for the blood pressure. I find that the menus on the printer are generally unintuitive, and the manuals could be written better. VersaWorks seems pretty good though, that was the one thing I was fearing the most, and yet it's a snap.

Tim Kingston

Not sure of your printer or what you received with it, but what I did when I first started or still do sometimes when I suspect I may have trouble with a long cut on expensive material etc. is replace the blade with a plotting pen and send the cut ( if the material is laminated first of course ) and then you can see where the file is going to cut, exactly. The ink will wipe off right away, without any trouble.

Also, I always do a test cut first when using a combination of materials ( lam and vinyl) I haven't used before or after repacing a blade.

Have fun, Tim.