• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Woo Hoo! New lights!

threeputt

Well we finally did it. We're having an electrical contractor tear out and re-install all new flourescent lighting throughout the shop.

Our old florescent fixtures were power hogs. There's (4) eightfoot tubes in each fixture and theres four banks of lights each bank with seven fixtures.

That's 112 bulbs burning every work day.

Already these new slim lights are putting out more light and they're much smaller. Amazing.

SD&F

It is amazing the things that get us excited these days! So happy for you, I understand.
We had to install new lighting in our sandblasting booths and the guys came in an literally kneeled in front of me in gratitude....made me happy.

threeputt

I would encourage you to look into it. Our local Public Utilities District is offering to off-set the cost quite a bit. They're paying about half.

Our out of pocket is not too bad. And.....they've calculated our power savings of just that portion of the electrical bill to be $972.00 annually.

So that's darn good. Especially since I've had these old lamps burning for 24 years and they continually throw ballasts.

Oh....and after July of this year you won't be able to find the bulbs easily as they cannot be manufactured anymore.

I suppose there will continue to be stocks of them for a while though.

MikePro

Well we finally did it. We're having an electrical contractor tear out and re-install all new flourescent lighting throughout the shop.

cheers!
:toasting:
we also just retrofitted our shop with energy-efficient fluorescent lighting... replacing our energy-hoggin' HPS shop lighting system (about 20!)

threeputt

WHat type of bulbs are they?
(the new ones)

Thanks!

Marsha

They are Phillips Alto II 32 watt. That's all I know. They have a bright green metal end on them. They're slim, only about 1" diameter.

BTW, the electricians just left. The job is finished. They were here two days. It's much brighter in here. Woo Hoo!

SignManiac

I put up the new skinny green endcap ones in our new print room when I did the build out five years ago. They are nice lights.

OldPaint

these new T 8 or F 32 as some call them are a vast imppovment over the T 12 bulds that have been around since the 30's in one form or another. if you live in cold clims, you will love the NEW T8 or the high intensity T5 for the one reason.....THEY DONT "FLICKER" when 1st stared up. i have a 24 x 30' x 16' tall shop and my main lighting is 2 of these T8, tandem dual 4' units. ive seen T8 8 foot bulbs, but home depot or lowes dont sell the 8 ft fixture, so iam ok with 4, 4 ft'ers instead of 2 eight ft bulbs. these provide a good overall light within that space for most work.
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/t8/abstract.asp

jfiscus

Rap Master
We upgraded our shop about 6 months ago to the new fixtures (gov rebate helped!), we now have 20 of the 4' (6 bulb?) fixtures in the garage. Didn't notice much difference lighting wise (maybe a little brighter), as we had both the high-intensity and old-style florescent fixtures in the shop before but he lights are also about 25' up near the ceiling.

My office & production area still have the old style bulbs...