• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood Filler and Glue

Mattie_BR

Hello everyone!!

We are building a large panel out of wood boards, below are some details:

- 17'x5' panels
- Western Red Cedar
- 2"x10" boards
- Supporting frames with 2"x2"

The objective is to have the panels smooth, looking seamless.

Which glue and wood filler would you recommend? This is an outdoor application and I am looking for something that will last. A

Thanks in advance!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your end size is 17', then why didn't you get 20 footers ?? Also, go with 12" boards, not 10".

Something that size, we'd joint them first, biscuit them and use a 2 part resorcinol boat glue and pipe clamp them for 48 to 72 hours. Afterwards, drum roll sand it.

You should be using 2" x 4" battens, not 2" x 2"

TammieH

If you are having the boards surfaced S4S you should need minimal fillers

I know some use 2 part epoxy glue, we use to use the 2 part resin/powder, but Titebond II works fine, its water proof and your joints will not fail. Are you using biscuits or dowels?

Mattie_BR

If your end size is 17', then why didn't you get 20 footers ?? Also, go with 12" boards, not 10".

Something that size, we'd joint them first, biscuit them and use a 2 part resorcinol boat glue and pipe clamp them for 48 to 72 hours. Afterwards, drum roll sand it.

You should be using 2" x 4" battens, not 2" x 2"
Thank-you!
The idea is to use 2"x10"x20' and cut to 17'
Why do you recommend the 2"x12"? So we have less horizontal seams?

Thanks again!!

Mattie_BR

If you are having the boards surfaced S4S you should need minimal fillers

I know some use 2 part epoxy glue, we use to use the 2 part resin/powder, but Titebond II works fine, its water proof and your joints will not fail. Are you using biscuits or dowels?
We didn't make a decision between biscuits or dowels - I have the impression biscuits will be stronger!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank-you!
The idea is to use 2"x10"x20' and cut to 17'
Why do you recommend the 2"x12"? So we have less horizontal seams?

Thanks again!!

Yep. The less seams the better it will look. Also, the less pairing up you hafta do. I always try to match the end grains at the seams so there was very little difference in the grain when sandblasted. Also, so the grooves have the same appearance.

At that size for being one-sided you could get away with 6/4", but that's a preference call on your/customer part.

I thought it had said 10' in board length. Sorry about that.

We almost always use biscuits. Seldom do we use dowels. Dowels make a much stronger bond, but biscuits make aligning far better and are easier to use.

BROWNDOG

have you had any luck finding decent 2x10's or 12's, i havent laminated pieces together in a while, usually get cedar blanks already laminated, most the time they are 2x3 or 4 the wider the plank the more twisting and expansion you'll get

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I have this wrong. You're not going to carve, sandblast or anything else into the wooden blank ?? Just attach 3/4" letters ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then, why waste all the time, effort, energy and cost of gluing up your own board ?? Why not just build a 5' x 17 out of plywood, then face it with 2 sheets of oversized ACM ?? Much more cost effective, it's already white and the whole thing will take less than a day. Why use starboard, if it's what I'm thinking it is ?? Just use 3/4" acrylic letters.

Mattie_BR

Then, why waste all the time, effort, energy and cost of gluing up your own board ?? Why not just build a 5' x 17 out of plywood, then face it with 2 sheets of oversized ACM ?? Much more cost effective, it's already white and the whole thing will take less than a day. Why use starboard, if it's what I'm thinking it is ?? Just use 3/4" acrylic letters.
I would probably built similarly as you described, but we have to follow contractors guidelines and specs, which have gone through a series of approvals before reaching us.
We don't have much flexibility on the construction methods.

Billct2

Maybe if you suggest they could cut their cost & increase durability & improve the appearance they may rethink it.
If they won't reconsider I understand, just keep on and collect the check. I have to still do government site signs with 3/4" painted plywood...