Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Question Wood Filler and Glue

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by Mattie_BR, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mattie_BR

Mattie_BR Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Florida
    Hello everyone!!

We are building a large panel out of wood boards, below are some details:

- 17'x5' panels
    - Western Red Cedar
    - 2"x10" boards
    - Supporting frames with 2"x2"

The objective is to have the panels smooth, looking seamless.

Which glue and wood filler would you recommend? This is an outdoor application and I am looking for something that will last. A

Thanks in advance!

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If your end size is 17', then why didn't you get 20 footers ?? Also, go with 12" boards, not 10".

Something that size, we'd joint them first, biscuit them and use a 2 part resorcinol boat glue and pipe clamp them for 48 to 72 hours. Afterwards, drum roll sand it.

You should be using 2" x 4" battens, not 2" x 2"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TammieH

TammieH Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    If you are having the boards surfaced S4S you should need minimal fillers

I know some use 2 part epoxy glue, we use to use the 2 part resin/powder, but Titebond II works fine, its water proof and your joints will not fail. Are you using biscuits or dowels?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattie_BR

Mattie_BR Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Florida
    Thank-you!
    The idea is to use 2"x10"x20' and cut to 17'
    Why do you recommend the 2"x12"? So we have less horizontal seams?

Thanks again!!

5. Mattie_BR

Mattie_BR Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Florida
    We didn't make a decision between biscuits or dowels - I have the impression biscuits will be stronger!

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yep. The less seams the better it will look. Also, the less pairing up you hafta do. I always try to match the end grains at the seams so there was very little difference in the grain when sandblasted. Also, so the grooves have the same appearance.

At that size for being one-sided you could get away with 6/4", but that's a preference call on your/customer part.

I thought it had said 10' in board length. Sorry about that.

We almost always use biscuits. Seldom do we use dowels. Dowels make a much stronger bond, but biscuits make aligning far better and are easier to use.

7. BROWNDOG

BROWNDOG Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Delaware
    have you had any luck finding decent 2x10's or 12's, i havent laminated pieces together in a while, usually get cedar blanks already laminated, most the time they are 2x3 or 4 the wider the plank the more twisting and expansion you'll get

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    What's the finish going to be? How are the letters/graphics going to be made & attached?

9. Mattie_BR

Mattie_BR Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Florida
    Panels will be primed and painted, same color as supporting posts (8"x8")
    Letters will be 3/4" white starboard
    Mounted with studs and silicone

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Maybe I have this wrong. You're not going to carve, sandblast or anything else into the wooden blank ?? Just attach 3/4" letters ??

11. Mattie_BR

Mattie_BR Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Florida
    Yes, that's correct.

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Then, why waste all the time, effort, energy and cost of gluing up your own board ?? Why not just build a 5' x 17 out of plywood, then face it with 2 sheets of oversized ACM ?? Much more cost effective, it's already white and the whole thing will take less than a day. Why use starboard, if it's what I'm thinking it is ?? Just use 3/4" acrylic letters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mattie_BR

Mattie_BR Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Florida
    I would probably built similarly as you described, but we have to follow contractors guidelines and specs, which have gone through a series of approvals before reaching us.
    We don't have much flexibility on the construction methods.

14. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Maybe if you suggest they could cut their cost & increase durability & improve the appearance they may rethink it.
    If they won't reconsider I understand, just keep on and collect the check. I have to still do government site signs with 3/4" painted plywood...

• Agree Agree x 1