• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood Post Top Bracket for Vertical Signs?

Signstein

I have been tasked with replacing some old double-sided parking lot signs that were slotted into wood posts. The signs were 30"h x 24"w x .063 aluminum - it's no wonder they all bent, snapped, or fell off. They were only being held on with a few inches of post. Does anyone know of any type of post top bracket that could hold a vertical sign? There's the type that are meant for a street sign, but obviously wouldn't work for a larger, vertically-oriented sign. Any thoughts, suggestions or alternatives?

post.jpg
bracket.JPG

Signstein

Yeah, that would definitely be easier. I have asked about changing up this style of post for the few single-sided signs, but haven't heard back yet. I was hoping to also present a better option for the double-sided signs, but the brackets I'm seeing essentially just work the same way. How would you guys mount a double-sided sign to the top of a single post?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'd almost hafta make a custom bracket to incase the whole sign. However, if you welded some .125 aluminum with a groove down the center and welded that to a flange and it went down on the post a foot or so, you might have a winner. The best way here is to make 2 single sided .090 signs and flush mount them to either side.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah, that would definitely be easier. I have asked about changing up this style of post for the few single-sided signs, but haven't heard back yet. I was hoping to also present a better option for the double-sided signs, but the brackets I'm seeing essentially just work the same way. How would you guys mount a double-sided sign to the top of a single post?
I wouldn't. Only type of signs I've mounted that were street ID signs, and those are more horizontal than vertical. Obviously yall see the result of mounting those signs that way, why try and replicate the same problem? To me, it would look silly having a sign mounted that way. Put it on the post like a normal person and be done with it. This is a very simple project

Signstein

sketch.jpg
What about this? This is the idea our brainstorming session came up with.
1. Cut off the old post top. 2. Drill a 3/4" diameter hole through the post about 4" down. 3. Recip cut a new 3/4" notch for an MDO panel. 4. Re-miter the top.
What do you guys think? Assuming I scale the signs down to maybe 24"x24" - would this work?

Signstein

I wouldn't. Only type of signs I've mounted that were street ID signs, and those are more horizontal than vertical. Obviously yall see the result of mounting those signs that way, why try and replicate the same problem? To me, it would look silly having a sign mounted that way. Put it on the post like a normal person and be done with it. This is a very simple project
I totally agree. Our Historical Research Council and Architectural Review Board may not, though. They don't like the look of having a pair of one-sided signs back-to-back on a single post, which is why these signs are so screwed up in the first place. Ugh...