• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wooden Signs

Hello,

I am new at woodworking and i have a question for the experts:

I make painted wooden signs using stencils. The stencil are use are cut with a cutting machine and need to perfectly stick to the wood the that the letters on the signs have a great contour.

My issue is that when i peel off the vinyl, he is falling apart. Would you know any kind of material i could use to do the job and being re-usable??

Thank you for your help!

Emmanuel

Last edited by a moderator:

OldPaint

Hello,

I am new at woodworking and i have a question for the experts:

I make painted wooden signs using stencils. The stencil are use are cut with a cutting machine and need to perfectly stick to the wood the that the letters on the signs have a great contour.

My issue is that when i peel off the vinyl, he is falling apart. Would you know any kind of material i could use to do the job and being re-usable??

Thank you for your help!

Emmanuel
would like to help...BUT, either your english is bad and your discription of what your doing....................is worse..............so untill you reword the question, i dont think much help will be available.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you are calling stencils are what I call paint masks. Because they are adhesive backed, they will supply a very good looking result when applied and the openings are then painted. But, because they are adhesive backed, it is not possible to use them more than once.

weaselboogie

You'd have to go with something thick. I've went with styrene before with "meh" results. Spray adhesive to the back and a couple of uses but in the end you have a sticky mess. Also, everything ends up looking like you're spray painting military crates. You'd only be able to use font that are made for stencil use. An extender that attaches the middle pieces is your only options for fonts.... Or dont use vowels.

For non-reusable stencils I use oracal 631 - several light coats, remove mask while still wet.. razor edge.