• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Word count on signs. Recommendation for road signs, under 5?

Dennis Schaub

We typically encourage customers to keep the number of words on signs along roadways under 5. I once read that every word over that decreases readability significantly. But I can't remember where I read it now. I would love to actually not the actual source to customers. Has anyone else read this?

Thanks!
Dennis

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On billboards, who cares ?? We're not allowed to do them, but it generally depends on the size of the sign and how far away people are viewing. When doing baseball homerun signs that are 8' x 16' we try to keep it between 7 and 9 words at no less than 6" to 8"

2B

we use this chart for references and reduce the amount of information on a sign

1692112037278.png

netsol

On billboards, who cares ?? We're not allowed to do them, but it generally depends on the size of the sign and how far away people are viewing. When doing baseball homerun signs that are 8' x 16' we try to keep it between 7 and 9 words at no less than 6" to 8"
and obviously speed is important as well

Dennis Schaub

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am not looking for a "letter height" recommendation, but more the amount of information that is reasonable on a sign. I found the article I was referring to, it was in an old USSC book entitles sign legibility.

gnubler

On billboards, who cares ??
I've seen more than one billboard that was so busy and packed with info, it was unreadable while driving. One looked like a magazine ad for tractors, showing eight different models with a bunch of text below each image...couldn't even read it.

Same applies for basic 24x18" yard signs. They're everywhere, usually advertising lawncare/construction services, and some are crammed with so much info they're unreadable from 50ft away. These are probably the ones people are ordering online themselves, who decide to play graphic designer at Vistaprint.

2B

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am not looking for a "letter height" recommendation, but more the amount of information that is reasonable on a sign. I found the article I was referring to, it was in an old USSC book entitles sign legibility.

Link?

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
The average driver will only have about 5 to 10 seconds to view your billboard design, read any text, and comprehend the message. In those 5 to 10 seconds, the driver could also be glancing from the billboard, to the road, and back to the billboard again depending on the severity of traffic.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I think it's a good guideline to follow. Of course, reading comprehension speed differs from person to person, but less is more. I was always taught that, if catering to the lowest common denominator, to gauge it based on spoken reading time.