Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word & Excel File Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by signs2trade, Apr 7, 2009.

1. signs2trade

signs2trade Active Member

I've been having a problem with word and excel files taking close to 2 minutes to open. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Its a real PITA. Anyone else ever experience this problem?
    Thank you
    Keith:frustrated:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    does it pause during a virus scan? I know that they search for macros, that could be a 'pauser'

3. signs2trade

No mam it does not. :banghead:

4. signs2trade

bump

5. visualeyez

visualeyez Member

Jan 23, 2007
    harbor
    I only use microsoft word "viewer" and excel "viewer" which are available for free download. Open the file in the viewer, Ctra + A to select all, Ctrl + C to copy, then switch over to a new illustrator document and Ctrl + V to paste everything in vector format.

6. sarge

sarge Active Member

Oct 18, 2008
    we have office 2003 and 2007 and everyone here tells me everything is aok .. however, it sound like maybe the versions are colliding .. when you open the file are you using word and excel to open the file or are you just clicking on the file in my documents or something .. i would try to open the file from within word or excel .. and i am also wondering it they may have been saved as a word perfect file or something

7. JustLearning

JustLearning New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    texas
    possible cause

It may not be the case for you, but another possible cause is shared printers, shared files or mapped network drives that are not connected.
    If you shared a printer from another computer on a network (or mapped a network driver/shared folder), every time you open a new file, the computer will look for that mapping. If you no longer have that other computer, other printer, other file, or the network didn't connect them at login, it will pause while it scans for it.
    Small as it seems, I have had it lock up a computer for as much as 5 minutes every time a file is accessed.
    It might not be your issue, but it's worth checking.

8. DRamm76

DRamm76 Member

May 17, 2007
    It may not even be a matter of those programs, but it may be other programs running internally that are slowing things down. Hit CTRL ALT DELETE & Open up your Task Manager. Select the Processes Tabs and see if you are running applications that don't need to be running. You can also check your CP Performance too.

May sound like stupid theory, but it's also overlooked..have you cleaned out temp files and your browser history? Maybe even Defrag?

Can you tell I've had my share of PC issues? LOL

9. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    Hey Keith....I'm having the same problem using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003...it seems that if I try to open a Word or Excel file from a Windows Explorer window or some other link or dialouge box then it takes up to 2 minutes to open. If I open the program first and then open the file from within the program there is no problem and it opens fairly normally. This started a few weeks ago for no apparent reason and I have no clue what to do to try to resolve it. The only thing I can imagine is that it is the result of a Windows update or some other automatic change because I've done nothing recently which would have caused such a thing to happen.

10. sarge

sarge Active Member

Oct 18, 2008
    gb i was trying to say the same .. i have tried to replicate this morning and i get a delay when going through explorer .. not sure if the shared printers are the issue .. it could be .. i will try to delete those printers on sunday while i watch a ball game and see if i can see any difference