• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work burnout

CanuckSigns

Thanks for all the great feedback! Looks like I'll have to try pushing back delivery dates and raising prices slightly. A lot of my customers don't plan for it and get stuff on a semi-weekly basis which leaves me with little time to squeeze them in if I'm already full. I'd say my price could go up a bit and that will probably help.
I get a lot of business because people like that I'm local and can usually turn jobs around quickly and they can actually talk to me and meet me rather than going online.

Good call on rasing prices, and make sure if they are coming to see you they don't expect you to stop and chat with them for 2 hours, we used to get a few of those, came in to order a $20 engraved plate for their annual fishing trophy, ended up talking my ear off for an hour on drop-off, and another hour on pickup. Now the door is locked due to covid so it doesn't happen anymore, I might just keep it this way for good!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
How do you deal with running your own
Can you glean something helpful from the attached image?
grab_Tiered_Schedule.JPG

Stacey K

I like making signs
Trouble with that is ... Even though it's x3 times the money. Then i am obligated to deliver.
That just takes the fun out of the day. It's not why i work Saturdays.
I like a quiet afternoon, radio on, working on special projects. Whether for business or for family.
No telephone or emails to answer.
I agree! I like Saturday mornings to do little stuff and clean up the shop, maybe reorganize things, crank up the music and lock the door. Then other Saturdays, I'm no where to be found!

Goatshaver

I agree! I like Saturday mornings to do little stuff and clean up the shop, maybe reorganize things, crank up the music and lock the door. Then other Saturdays, I'm no where to be found!

Yeah that's how I treat Saturdays, I don't talk to clients on the weekend if I can help it. I've got a "special case" customer that gets stuff done when he sends it but I've worked that out with him and my needs for time and he always tips me extra for delivery.

Val47

Wait, am I the only one that cranks the music whether or not the door is locked?
Any given day of the week?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not anymore.

So, if you crank up the music and someone comes by, can't they hear that you are in there ?? Isn't that kinda rude...... not to answer a door ??

Cripes about a week ago, I was at the hospital with my wife for an emergency with her. About 1 or 2 in the afternoon (call forwarding), I got a phone call and the stupid-a$$ FEDEX guy called me to tell me I wasn't open. I said, yeah, I know that, I'm at the hospital. He said then I can't deliver this package. What brainy people,work there nowadays.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We are the highest shop in our town. There are about 8 other sign shops here but only 1 as large as us. We still cant keep up with orders. I am moving prices even higher just to weed out the problem customers.
I used to be the guy that never turned down a job, worked 7 days a week and did 36 hour stints to meet unrealistic deadlines. Not any more!! 5 days a week 8 to 12 hours a day.
Right now we are in the middle of 150+ fleet order of F150s and Nissan NV vans. We turn out between 7 to 10 a week. Other customers can wait or go somewhere else. After 30 years we are blessed to have the clients we have. If your a PITA then you can beat feet to the cheap guys down the street.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Wait, am I the only one that cranks the music whether or not the door is locked?
I do the same thing! If I'm feeling especially perky I might put some heavier stuff on then blame it on my son adding crazy songs to my play list when a customer comes in LOL!!!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Not anymore.

So, if you crank up the music and someone comes by, can't they hear that you are in there ?? Isn't that kinda rude...... not to answer a door ??

Cripes about a week ago, I was at the hospital with my wife for an emergency with her. About 1 or 2 in the afternoon (call forwarding), I got a phone call and the stupid-a$$ FEDEX guy called me to tell me I wasn't open. I said, yeah, I know that, I'm at the hospital. He said then I can't deliver this package. What brainy people,work there nowadays.
I keep the lights off and work in the back room with the music on. If someone knocks, I answer the door - hours say closed Saturday and Sunday so I'm not too worried. On more than one occasion while working late at night in my back room before I had a bell at my door I would turn around and find some creepy customer watching me. DOOR IS ALWAYS LOCKED WHEN IT'S DARK now and I open it at my discretion.

Goatshaver

Everyday! Although I'm in a private residence and don't have customers here so just have to deal with social media and calls.

TheSnowman

I was in the same boat probably 8 years ago. Everyone here told me to raise my prices, and I was super hesitant to do it. I did it, started subbing out design work, and I was selling bigger jobs, and higher quantities, and I wasn't trying to do design work. I just focused on production. That bought me several years, and I was again to the point of I either had to hire someone, or figure out how to get away from all the walk in people wasting my time trying to get me to do their little jobs. I ended up building a shop at home, and now I basically only do work via email. The customers I that were good to work with have my cell phone and my email, and 95% of them email their orders. Now, in the summers, it's still 12-14 hour days 6 days a week (I refuse to work on Sunday, you gotta have one day to kick back) but I'm making bank when I'm working because I've raised prices, and only kept efficient customers. The non-efficient customers I've sent to the lady on the other side of town that's barely hanging on. I figure she can use the extra stuff I don't want anyway.
I also do some wholesale work for 3 or 4 design companies in town. A few of them keep me super busy, and they always get their stuff next day, no matter how late I have to keep working. It's slowly become my bread and butter.

Goatshaver

I was in the same boat probably 8 years ago. Everyone here told me to raise my prices, and I was super hesitant to do it. I did it, started subbing out design work, and I was selling bigger jobs, and higher quantities, and I wasn't trying to do design work. I just focused on production. That bought me several years, and I was again to the point of I either had to hire someone, or figure out how to get away from all the walk in people wasting my time trying to get me to do their little jobs. I ended up building a shop at home, and now I basically only do work via email. The customers I that were good to work with have my cell phone and my email, and 95% of them email their orders. Now, in the summers, it's still 12-14 hour days 6 days a week (I refuse to work on Sunday, you gotta have one day to kick back) but I'm making bank when I'm working because I've raised prices, and only kept efficient customers. The non-efficient customers I've sent to the lady on the other side of town that's barely hanging on. I figure she can use the extra stuff I don't want anyway.
I also do some wholesale work for 3 or 4 design companies in town. A few of them keep me super busy, and they always get their stuff next day, no matter how late I have to keep working. It's slowly become my bread and butter.

Sounds exactly what position I'm in. I don't do much design at all and what I can I sub out to local designers. I try and focus on production as well as I'm just one guy. I can turn most of my jobs around in a 2-3 days. I also do a bunch of deliveries which sucks up some time but it's nice to meet new customers every now and again.

DPD

I'm going on my second year in the vinyl printing business with things only getting busier. Which is great, however I'm finding myself getting completely burnt out mentally and somewhat physically. I find I can't say no to a job, I've been working 7 days a week 10-11hr days average for the last 3-4months.

I'm finding people don't give ample time for projects when they need something. I feel stuck....like if I turn anyone away or say no it'll reflect on me being a terrible business owner, so I keep telling myself just get it done and then break, but the break never ends up coming.

I figured running my own business would be great and I can make my own schedule. Not the case...I'm so intent on making each customer happy I never give myself the time to make myself happy.

How do you deal with running your own business? especially if you are your only employee.

Sorry for the rant.

I'm a bit late on this but it sounds like its time to raise your prices. If you don't want to raise your prices then you'll need to look for ways to increase production e.g. hire people, better equipment etc. Some would say that it's a nice problem to have but I'm not so sure.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yup, it's the walk in people that suck up all your time...and inefficient customers. I'm 100% convinced of that. Once you can get away from those life is easier. I still do some of that for certain people. A good test is to keep all these jobs for one day. See how much money you actually make...it's not much for the time spent. It's a good push to stop taking these types of things on.