• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Workflow software, what works for you?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
No, we are currently using Trello - it's been working for us, but would be nice to have options to tweak it in different ways.
FileMaker has a drag-and-drop Kanban feature but Kanban is not actually the best layout for workflow. It was designed as an inventory utility. I've mentioned earlier in this thread that one can create an ideal WIP tracking tool using FileMaker in a few minutes or another database development software. The same can be created in any spreadsheet software, but alas, spreadsheet software falls short as the records grow.
(More later)

Attachments

• grabFileMakerKanbanAddOn.jpg
    grabFileMakerKanbanAddOn.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 262

WildWestDesigns

FileMaker has a drag-and-drop Kanban feature but Kanban is not actually the best layout for workflow. It was designed as an inventory utility. I've mentioned earlier in this thread that one can create an ideal WIP tracking tool using FileMaker in a few minutes or another database development software. The same can be created in any spreadsheet software, but alas, spreadsheet software falls short as the records grow.

CSV/Excel type file structures as a database format, they aren't designed for info that changes daily. They just aren't. One is going to want a true database type of file structure (my preference is for SQLite (mainly because most programming frameworks already have the ability to work with this format out of the box, Qt and Python for example), but there are others out there). CSV/Excel type of information handling is great for migration, but as a true database format, not so much.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We delete records also. most of them we will never use again.
we delete all client jobs after a week from pickup. unless it's a logo, branding or signage from repeat clients.

Wow, we don't delete anything that fast. Maybe we'll toss the proofs out (we have them in emails anyway if we really needed them) but we've had to go back to old files numerous times. So-and-so's car got in an accident and we need to match a panel, someone's sign went missing and they need a replacement, etc I don't want to spend time doing it again.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Wow, we don't delete anything that fast. Maybe we'll toss the proofs out (we have them in emails anyway if we really needed them) but we've had to go back to old files numerous times. So-and-so's car got in an accident and we need to match a panel, someone's sign went missing and they need a replacement, etc I don't want to spend time doing it again.

With in a week, we'd know if there's an issue with the print. otherwise it's wasted space. Worst case the image is still on the printers hard drive or in the RIP.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
With in a week, we'd know if there's an issue with the print. otherwise it's wasted space. Worst case the image is still on the printers hard drive or in the RIP.

We just throw it all on the cloud and it's out of the way. That said, we do a lot of property management and fleets, so we do a significant amount of reprints.

I clear it out of the RIP software immediately after print though - no time for that in my space.

jagsouthern

Hi Pauly,

Check out Sign Tracker - I have been using it for about 10 years and have found it indispensable - it is a rent by month subscription - originally it came with quickbooks integration - I think it still does but we have not been using that feature. It's been a big help and it is inexpensive.

Here is a link - https://www.sign-tracker.com/

Good Luck
We also use it. Had it 3 years and wonder how we ever ran without it. Extremely flexible for use in naming categories, following job progression, ease of use by shop staff, great customer service, constant innovation to better the platform. I can honestly say that Sign Tracker has made us money!

We use ClickUp in our shop and just the free version (looking at upgrading for the storage space). we are small shop of 3 people and we write every order down on paper before entering it into clickup. We have clickup set up for every stage of an order from quote to completion so its nicer than the paper option as we can see where jobs are in production and see if we need to send follow-ups or why something hasn't been printed yet. Its definitely a great starter software and its quick to learn. Once our shop starts to grow with more employees it would be nice to have a custom software with built in quote building & invoicing.