• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working outdoors in enclosed tent?

WhiteWrapper

I was thinking but getting a 10x20 enclosed tent for working outdoors. The insulation would be minimal, but hoping someone has tried this method with powerful fans in hot or in my current predicament, a kerosene heater.
This wouldn't be for full commercial (print/lam). My hopes aren't high, and I have experience making it work in inclement weather, but is it worth it? Your feedback is appreciated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What kinda work are you gonna be doing in this tent ?? Without proper ventilation, your heat source will be bad for not only you, but many things you might be working on. Not to mention, I highly doubt customers will wanna visit you in a tent.

Now, if you were holding a temporary party in there with food and drinks, I don't think anyone will care for a few hours of smelly stale air.

Zx360

Find a local body shop and make a new friend.
where I work we used a local body shop down the road 6 months out of the year for installs because we didn't have an install bay. They were happy to help and we covered the cost as part of "installation" on invoices. They were happy to make a couple bucks. We were happy not to freeze and do quality work.

:thumb:

WhiteWrapper

I'm on the road lot and do on site installs. Unfortunately outdoors sometimes happens.
Keep in mind this is NC.

No wind
Shade
Fans pulling would cool it easy
No rain

My question was will a kerosene heater do anything in an enclosed canopy. I can handle ventilation. Just hoping someone in our trade has given it a shot.

WhiteWrapper

And fyi the a local business park/warehouse can be your friend for daily rates on vacant units.
RV storage units can sometimes offer indoor spaces for the big guys on the daily.

Doc Savage

I run an unrelated business with my wife. We have a 10x20 canopy with side. As you have said insulation will be non-existent. My worry with a propane heater would be the potential fire risk and the nylon is real susceptible to that heat. My wife burned the back of a nylon coat several years ago by getting to close to a propane hater while it was on.

Our first tent has had some issues this season and at the end of the year we will buy a new cover. Looking at the same tent in the booth next to us at a recent event I was surprised by how much the fabric has faded. It s now brittle and when I close it up at the last event it got a rip in the top. This tent is only 3 years old. So you will have to factor that into the cost of operation.

I think you will also find that 10x20 sounds big but when you start putting stuff inside it gets small quick.

WhiteWrapper

I run an unrelated business with my wife. We have a 10x20 canopy with side. As you have said insulation will be non-existent. My worry with a propane heater would be the potential fire risk and the nylon is real susceptible to that heat. My wife burned the back of a nylon coat several years ago by getting to close to a propane hater while it was on.

Our first tent has had some issues this season and at the end of the year we will buy a new cover. Looking at the same tent in the booth next to us at a recent event I was surprised by how much the fabric has faded. It s now brittle and when I close it up at the last event it got a rip in the top. This tent is only 3 years old. So you will have to factor that into the cost of operation.

I think you will also find that 10x20 sounds big but when you start putting stuff inside it gets small quick.

Thank you. I assume short of durability and hazards, blocking the wind and a heater had a marked improvement for you?

Doc Savage

Thank you. I assume short of durability and hazards, blocking the wind and a heater had a marked improvement for you?

My biggest issues have been rain and wind. I have only dealt with cold once. The tent was sufficient for blocking most of the cold air.

Another recommendation I can offer is do not go cheaper at the front end. I have a total of 5 canopies of differing sizes. Pay the long dollar up front for a higher quality canopy and they will go up easier on the start and come down easier at the end. I have watched people struggle with 10x10 canopies and 4 people. I can setup and take down my 10x15 by myself in 10 minutes. But it cost me $500. However it is also 12 years old too. My 10x20 can be setup and taken down with 2 people but because of the overall weight it is better if you have 3 people. If you can afford to go aluminum frame on a 10x20 do it. It will pay for itself in trips to the chiropractor.

GB2

Old Member
I've used canopies like that many times. Of course there is an improvement from trying to work out in the open outdoors but it depends on what you're doing as to whether or not it is worth it. Setting up and taking down the canopy is a hassle so if this is to be done often then...it's a hassle. Using a heater with a canopy is OK, though a bit dangerous. You certainly can get some value out of a heater despite the flimsy containment of the canopy but it only lasts as long as the heater is on. My biggest problem was keeping the canopy on the ground, again if it's to be temporary in a no wind condition then it's fine, if you are trying to set it up for multiple days then you have to be concerned about keeping it grounded. I've had more than one blow over and/or break some poles or bases.

Tony McD

I bought this one last year to store my lawn mowers, etc.. instead of using tarps. > > > http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-69039.html
Not really a quick up and down tent though.
I painted a garden tractor in it last winter, and the cold temps outside would make it rain inside when the sun hit the tent,
or if you had a heater running inside. I took a bed sheet and attached it to the center of the roof inside and angled it down
to the side walls to help the drips run off to the sides and not on my wet paint.

Mosh

There is a paint free dent removal guy who comes around to fix hail dents. He has a big tent and uses three of those Amish heater deals inside the tent. He works all winter long, can't be that warm, but he does it without a coat on.

ChicagoGraphics

As long as you use K1 kerosene I think you will be good in a tent and there is no smell at all, I use it in my shop and nothing effects it as fumes go, I never got a flash up or anything like that. Plus it's a whole lot cheaper then the electric heat we have here.