• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working with Granite posts

signtologist

I have a couple of questions.
1. When you drill into granite do you treat it like you were going into masonry or concrete?
2. Would drilling into granite in the cold make the granite more fragile?
Any other info you could give me would be appreciated.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
1. How do you treat masonry and concrete? If you are thinking of a hammer drill and carbide masonry bit, you might have issues, depends on the size of the bit, and the granite. You may need a diamond tip drill bit and depending on the depth and how the granite was installed, may need to cool it with water.

2. Like freezing? I say probably not, but granite will not react well if you heat it with a torch.

Marlene

when we have to deal with granite, we hire someone to do the drilling as it can have all kinds of issues. did you buy the post yourself? if so, you could try some of the suggestions but if they are on site and belong to a customer, I wouldn't touch them.

heyskull

Ive drilled granite with a masonry drill bit reprofilled/Sharpened to cut like a normal high speed drill.
Do'nt knock the hammer on when drilling.
You may have to resharpen it a couple of times.

SC