• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

working with matte vinyl

EGI

So I have a potential client that wants his STI wrapped in black matte vinyl. I know this is a trend right now, so I'd like to bring more to the project then just plain black. I talked with him about this, and I'd like to add some details, like some of the logos of parts used on the car, and maybe some other subtle graphic elements.

So, I'm curious if printing on matte vinyl and over lam will look similar to matte black vinyl and over lam?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
So, I'm curious if printing on matte vinyl and over lam will look similar to matte black vinyl and over lam?

Those two are the same thing, you'll need to clarify there a bit. Also, are you talking about digitally printing the black comparing that to standard matt vinyl which doesn't need a laminate and thinking of laminating it (which is a bit redundant)? and you do know that unless it is a wrapping cast ... any non-digitally printed matte black really won't conform to complex curves like a digitally printed black on wrapping cast.

EGI

Those two are the same thing, you'll need to clarify there a bit. Also, are you talking about digitally printing the black comparing that to standard matt vinyl which doesn't need a laminate and thinking of laminating it (which is a bit redundant)? and you do know that unless it is a wrapping cast ... any non-digitally printed matte black really won't conform to complex curves like a digitally printed black on wrapping cast.

Yes trying to compare digitally printing black, (so I can add graphic elements) to black matte vinyl. Wasn't sure if the matte vinyl needed to be laminated, mostly to add extra protection.

I've never worked with cast matte vinyl for wrapping. I see it being done quite a bit lately, seems like a trend.

So before I try and commit to this project I'm just trying to get some input...

So what material is everyone using to wrap cars in matte black vinyl?

HulkSmash

Avery just came out with a ton of colors matt, prelaminated vinyl.

It has the EZ RS in them as well. You can't print on most of them cause they're lam'd

EGI

Avery just came out with a ton of colors matt, prelaminated vinyl.

It has the EZ RS in them as well. You can't print on most of them cause they're lam'd

Yeah, I saw the Avery stuff. We use Avery for cast vinyl all the time. And occasionally the wrap vinyl. I like Avery's products :thumb:

EGI

So, can you print black using matte vinyl and lam and have it compare to a matte vinyl like COsigns said?

EGI

isn't it a lot cheaper to wrap the car matte black, then print out some small decals to stick onto it?

Yeah it would be cheaper. But it would also look cheap to... The client is a hi-end turbo performace shop with a great logo and branding, so I don't want to half-ass it. Tryin to use my whole ass here...

Basically I'd like to print all black, be able to add their logo (which they already have great branding) and some other subtle graphic elements in key spots to give a clean minimalistic look. And trying to see if printed black is similar enough to plain matte black before ordering a whole roll of matte lam, to not have this idea work out...

Can anyone tell me if the matte lam will defuse the print enough to achieve the look I'm after?

EGI

If you're asking whether matte laminate will make your prints look matte....well the answer is yes. If you're asking whether you can match the exact finish and density of the solid cast black.....well you're probably gonna have to test it out.

And having overlay graphics doesn't look cheap IMO, as long as it's done properly.

Thanks for some input. I understand the lam will make it look matte, just trying to figure out how matte... I'm going to talk with our suppliers today to try and get some laminate samples. It wouldn't have to match the solid cast exactlly, but needs to be pretty close.

One way or another, I'm not doing overlay graphics. We may have different opinions on what does and doesn't look cheap (we're all intitled to our own opinions) but in my book that would be cheap. Especially considering the client.

I will def post up pics when this is completed!

EGI

See if you can get some solid wrapping cast samples and then print some different builds of black and laminate with your matte vinyl/lam. Should give you an idea what you're dealing with. If your suppliers are cheap and don't want to give you any, sometimes they sell "sample rolls" which are usually just odd shaped off cut rolls.

Good luck!

Thanks man! Yeah thats what I'm hoping to do is try some different options and compare.

I have 2 different reps to call later. Hopefully I don't have to purchase samples, cause you'd think they'd be willing to work with you on something like this. If we have more options, that means more product we can order... Not going to order stuff I don't know about...

Thanks again!

HulkSmash

Yeah it would be cheaper. But it would also look cheap to... The client is a hi-end turbo performace shop with a great logo and branding, so I don't want to half-ass it. Tryin to use my whole ass here...
?

Wrong.... This is a flat black with metallic silver cut vinyl overlaying... sexy as hell.

Attachments

• Car Wrap 1.jpg
    Car Wrap 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 131

EGI

Wrong.... This is a flat black with metallic silver cut vinyl overlaying... sexy as hell.

That is sexy! But, what I'm trying to do is completely different then what you posted. Those are bascically just vector lines, which could be cut with a plotter. Which would work great like in the attached image. The extra elelments I'd be adding would be bitmap style with gradients and several colors. If I wrapped the car in black matte, and added the logos and such printed seperately it would look cheap. And thats not the kind of work I'm putting my name on. I want to be able to print the logos along with the black field so that it's all one layer.

Going to talk with reps, get some sample and try some tests.

I'll post up my results.

CheapVehicleWrap

Haven't SEEN the new colors yet but:

The new colors that are now available include:

• 1080-G83 Gloss Dark Red

• 1080-G13 Gloss Hot Rod Red

• 1080-G103 Gloss Hot Pink

• 1080-G14 Gloss Burnt Orange

• 1080-G54 Gloss Bright Orange

• 1080-G25 Gloss Sunflower

• 1080-G15 Gloss Bright Yellow

• 1080-G46 Gloss Kelly Green

• 1080-G47 Gloss Intense Blue

• 1080-G77 Gloss Sky Blue

• 1080-G79 Gloss Light Ivory

• 1080-G10 Gloss White

• 1080-G12 Gloss Black

• 1080-G227 Gloss Blue Metallic

• 1080-G241 Gloss Gold Metallic

• 1080-G120 Gloss White Aluminum

• 1080-G251 Gloss Sterling Silver

• 1080-G201 Gloss Anthracite

• 1080-G212 Gloss Black Metallic

• 1080-M261 Matte Dark Gray

• 1080-M230 Matte Gray Aluminum

natedawg9640

if you can adapt the design to utilize a double print profile for the digital print and lay down a really nice opaque black, then you should have no problem with laminating it with a matte lamination and achieving the matte appearance. Personally though, you should entertain the idea of gloss black cut graphics laid onto the matte black wrap. i think that would be nice. I will likely be wrapping my WRX in 3M's black carbon material shortly.

EGI

Thanks for the feed back guys! I had an epiphany over the weekend in regards to this job, and will be meeting with the client this week to discuss the concept. When I get stuff laid out, I'll post up some piccs to share!