• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

worse car wrapping rookie mistakes you've made?

0igo

I just recently started wrapping and after my first job I can honestly say it was very stressful but I got it done haha. On that note what are some rookie mistakes you've done or seen others do?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I'd say most common mistakes are:
-Not cleaning properly/adequately
-Not test aligning EVERYTHING before final placement. If you don't you will almost always end up with one end too short, text ending up in an opening or door handle, or everything being crooked.
-Cutting/trimming with a knife directly on the paint. DON'T DO IT. Underlay teflon tape or use a knifeless tape.
-Not post-heating, especially tight curves and edges.

Kwiksigns

wookie
i have SEEN, not done, overstretching, bridging and applying heat into a groove. I just fixed a job someone did that and it popped up the next day. ive-seen cuts on glass people used a black blade and made deep scratches. bunched up vinyl around the corners of a hood. don't do any of that.

0igo

i have SEEN, not done, overstretching, bridging and applying heat into a groove. I just fixed a job someone did that and it popped up the next
day. ive-seen cuts on glass people used a black blade and made deep scratches. bunched up vinyl around the corners of a hood. don't do any of that.

Whats a black blade? And wow that's crazy. I took extra long on my cuts just to be sure I didn't poke anything in the back. Another thing why is applying heat to a groove bad?

Dennis422

Whats a black blade? And wow that's crazy. I took extra long on my cuts just to be sure I didn't poke anything in the back. Another thing why is applying heat to a groove bad?

Carbon blades. They cut (leave cuts) in glass. Regular silver blades do not scratch tempered glass (Vehicle)

player

You're supposed to heat on a flat spot before the groove to get the extra material. If the vinyl is stretched into grooves it will shrink back and lift, plus there is less adhesive because of the stretch.

Kwiksigns

wookie
what they said. except sometimes you can distort the image on the flat part. Always better to work the vinyl into the grooves and post heat.