• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would like your thoughts

Boomer Sign

Getting back into the game. Designing a new door sign for my dad's shop just wondered what you guys think. The graphic will be round when I converted graphic into a jpg, the graphic was altered into a slightly oval shape.

thanks
David

Attachments

• sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 91

Custom_Grafx

That looks great but just my opinion - AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE needs more balls. Looks a bit weak there - maybe too narrow/thin a font?

Marlene

AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE needs more balls. Looks a bit weak there - maybe too narrow/thin a font?

agree that it is a bit weak. also, the red shape is distracting. maybe get rid of it or change it to a red dot so you still have the colors. I like the round shape and the way you did the company name. that looks very nice.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It looks like a take-off of the ubiquitous Packard automobile service signs of bygone days. You might want to try for a bit more originality.

Attachments

• rusticsigns.jpg
    rusticsigns.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 80

Jillbeans

It makes my eyes vibrate.
Try changing the blue to a navy and the red to a blood red.
I'd switch out the priority making Automotive Service big in the center, and making his name in the circle in a font like Chesham Sans.
The script would look great in something beefier like A&S Motherlode.
Love.....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The colors are a little electrifying. You just might want to calm the tension down there a little bit.

Also, the logo bob pulled up looks a little too much like yours. I'd maybe rethink that part before you copy that one.

The last part, the lower case 's' in his name is very hard to distinguish. I'd doctor that up a tad.

Marlene

It looks like a take-off of the ubiquitous Packard automobile service signs of bygone days. You might want to try for a bit more originality.

not cool to copy that logo right down to the red thingy. try coming up with something that feels of the era but not copying something from it.

"Deposit Please"

I would make Automotive Service just a little bigger or maybe just give it more spacing between the letters. John seems cramped in there, other than that, it looks good.

Boomer Sign

Thank you for the thoughts

You guys are good, you got me on the Packard emblem. I was wondering if anyone would catch that. The name John is cramped up inside the Baskin. I appreciate the feedback and I will take it into full consideration.

I have been reading the posts for the past couple of weeks and have noticed the way everyone jumps on the copyright and trademark bandwagon. I do have experience on the copyright thing, I own the copyright to the "Peace the Old Fashioned Way" decal which is a B-52 made into a peace sign. I will not go into detail on how hard it is to enforce a copyright these days and they are only good if you have a deep pocket book. For my case the violators say as long as the change the font they are clear of any copyright infringement. I do not agree with them but I do not have the pocket book to fight them in court. I do agree that you need to be original with your artwork and graphics but I tend to believe for everything that anyone puts out there most of the time somebody else has done it or something similar to it. So I have adopted that when people copy things I do, it is a form of a compliment and I just get over it, it is not worth the fight and sleepless nights. Just my two cents worth and I am sure some of you guys will disagree wholeheartedly.

Again thanks for the input.

David

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Boomer, it's not a question of who agrees or not. You're new here. Copyright infringement is nothing ANYONE here takes lightly.

There's right.... and then there's wrong. There's no grey area. Your design is quickly recognizable and I'd imagine in the automotive trade, there will be many more that see that similarity. If you want to do your OWN dad this kind of injustice, that's up to you. He'll be the one ridiculed, not you.

What's a little odd is, if you're in the middle of some copyright problems, why would you attempt such a stunt ??

Again, regardless of how hard it is to enforce something.... that doesn't make it any more legitimate. It's not a question of getting caught, but having the reputation for being a copycat..... or a creep.

Boomer Sign

Gino,

Well crud I had a few things that I want to say and I am on my third version of this post, but you know what you are right and I am not going to argue with you. Because you will never understand what I am talking about. I do believe in ownership of your own artwork and graphics and stealing is stealing. Thank you for setting me straight.

David

Oh yea did you get permission to use the kool aid guy for your profile pic or is that free domain or did you change it up. You are using him to represent you. It doesn't effect me but I could see where you might get ridiculed for using it.

Ok see how ridiculous that sounds.

I am not here to start waves, but the way this forum treats the new guys is ridiculous and I do have thick skin and I can handle it. There are 20 ways to skin a cat and it seems that if someone has a new idea about how to do things and he or she only has 3 or so posts, they have not earned the privilege of posting their thoughts. For example a guy put a post on here concerning saving scrap vinyl, all he was trying to do was add to the conversation and all you guys could do was tell him how stupid he was to save his vinyl and it was a waist of time. For a guy just starting out a one foot square of vinyl is worth more than a 20 year veteran. I do believe you need to respect those that came before you but the respect goes both ways. You guys just seem to have fun going off on the new guy. That is not the way to treat the future of your/our industry.

Ok I am off of my pedestal and I am off to change my dad's sign design. Thank you for all of the input.

Jillbeans

I thought I tried to help and you never even said "That looks like crap" or even acknowledged it.
Peace the old fashioned way!

Boomer Sign

I'm sorry jillbeans. I meant to say thank you. I did like your design. I shouldn't have gone off like I did because people like you are what makes this forum work. And as far as Gino is concerned I know he was only trying to help and I appreciate that and last paragraph was not meant to be directed at him and I should have made it a separate post. The one thing about forums blogs emails and texts is that it emboldens people to say things that they would not normally say. And I see that all over this forum. And again I am not talking about this thread it is an overall observation of the entire forum. That there are a group of people that go off on anything and everything just to make others look stupid.

Again I am getting off my pedestal. Thank you again everyone for your inputs including Gino. I do respect your thoughts and opinions and I do agree with you on the copyright issue.

jiarby

Hay Gino...

Francis Scott Key doesn't like you using his lyrics in your avatar... LOL! I just got a cease & desist from the Arizona Secretary of State for using the AZ flag in mine. I told `em to pound cactus needles.