• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you buy a new JV33 today?

PrintItBig

Considering this machine is a fair few years old now and heads have moved on / been improved etc, would you still consider buying one new today?

Or are there better out there for the money?

Thanks.

FatCat

Like any printer decision, it all depends on what you want to do with it and do you foresee the need to continue to print solvent ink over the next several years. The JV33 is a tank, much better built than similar Mutoh or Roland printers in my opinion - I classify it as a true commercial grade printer that will run for years and years if maintained properly. (This is from a guy who owns a Mutoh 1204 and a 1604) I have a friend who has a 160 and has run literally miles of media on it and it still runs to this day. Yes, it isn't as fast as newer printers, nor does it have some of the features - but it is a solid, well built machine that will be around a long time, with parts, etc. available for many years after Mimaki discontinues it.

Robert M

Jv33

It is still a good value. It uses the DX5 print head which is a very durable head. It has on board cleaning carts which no one else has. Easy to change cap top and a good RIP. Only thing I would change is the pumps, but they are easy to change and don't cost much.

4R Graphics

I love my JV33 160
Just like Fatcat said its a tank very well built and will last years with HEAVY work loads.

Would I buy another tomorrow that depends on what Im looking at in the future.

Truth is I like the new latex printers but there still new and have bugs (some more than others) Hp has there second gen out and fixed alot of bugs from gen 1.

I really dont know enough about the gen 2 hp latex machines but if I had to make a decision for a new printer in the next month my only 2 candidates would be the JV33 and the HP latex gen 2.

I have owned a JV3 and a JV33 and I know the JV3 still prints to this day daily (a friend owns it) you cant beat the quality of the mimakis if you treat them right they will last for a very long time.

As for quality and speed the quality of the JV33 is great and speed wise well I can print a 4' by 8' graphic in 6 pass and a resolution of 540 X 1080 bi directional in 16 minutes. Thats plenty fast for me and the quality is really pretty good 12 pass gives a better quality and a time of about 30 minutes for the same graphic theres really no reason to print in 24 pass as the 12 and 24 are to the average person the same in quality.

6 pass is close to photo quality from about 4 feet away and 12 and 24 pass are close to photo qulaity from arms length in my opnion.

You could print in 1440 by 1440 and lose some speed and gain a bit better graphic but you will find that most stuff there is just no reason to do it 540 by 1080 is great for almost everything.

My 2 cents

Letterbox Mike

Yes, absolutely. IMO the best printer on the market in its price range. Ours sits next to an Epson GS6000 and it prints circles around the GS. Prints are better, color is better, gray is dead neutral, and at "normal" print speeds it's 4X faster and half as expensive to run.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd have to also say absolutely yes. Had JV3 machines in the past and JV33 now. It just goes and goes and the single head JV33 requires very little maintenance. I have zero hesitation to put a brand new 54" 50yard roll on it right before we leave for the night and have it print the entire roll overnight. We come in first thing in the morning to a fully printed roll on the takeup. Part of this is Mimaki's takeup, often regarded as one of the best out there.

Richard G

I am still working with my JV3 160 SP and once it finally dies which I don't see happening soon. I will get the next generation, defiantly. This the first machine that hasn't cost us an arm and leg to own. I have actually made money it,the other machines will remain unnamed for their own protection.