• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question would you hire someone...

papabud

Lone Wolf
so i was wondering.
if you had someone that walked in your door. had some or a lot of sign experience. but came to your shop wishing to work part time or what ever. wishing to learn more about this trade. either to gain better experience or learn areas they have never been exposed to.
not someone looking for a long term job. but looking to grow as a sign maker or graphics person or what ever combination.
would you consider hiring this person?

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
If you need the extra hands I don't see why not. But since they're basically looking for what I would constitute as an apprenticeship position I'd probably low ball their pay. At least until they master some of the processes you're teaching them.

TimToad

Maybe with a time commitment and a non-compete while working. It would also be at a reduced rate due to reliability concerns

I'd extend the non-compete out a few years and add a geographical prohibition zone to it of maybe 25 miles or so if given access to the company's computers and client list. One needn't train and supply someone with the seeds for their own business down the street.

Billct2

I've done exactly that. A guy who was interested in the business as something to go into when he retired from his job, had even looked into buying an existing shop. It worked fine.
But I can see being concerned that you were only training a competitor.