• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you like fries with that logo?

Jon Aston

Many of you design visual identities for your clients - logo, signage, business cards... The whole package.

Many of you (along with others in the graphics industry... like printers) have also had to work from a business card, or brochure to "replicate" a visual identity. Sometimes, you spend valuable time trying to identify fonts, and - occasionally - when you can't find the exact font - you're forced to substitute something "close". Branding is all about consistency. The same "brand creep" can happen with colours, or when vector images aren't supplied... and it's bad for your customer's image.

In both cases above, there should be an opportunity to sell a style guide... Something that specifies how to (and how not to) use the logo, specifies colours, specifies fonts. If you had a template to work with, it probably wouldn't take too much time to put together. In some cases, you might even want to present a style guide, as a final, unexpected piece of value added - something most of your competitors aren't doing - which would enhance the customer's experience and probably result in additional word of mouth.

If any of that makes sense, then this might prove useful.

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited:

signgal

While I agree with this adding value and professionalism my competitors aren't providing, doesn't this supply the customer with ways to make it easier for them to take their business to my cheaper counterparts? If they have the font, colors, etc. and possible the art file... I've just made the other guys job easy. No?

Jon Aston

While I agree with this adding value and professionalism my competitors aren't providing, doesn't this supply the customer with ways to make it easier for them to take their business to my cheaper counterparts? If they have the font, colors, etc. and possible the art file... I've just made the other guys job easy. No?

I guess you are making it a little easier... but not much. If all that stands between your cheaper competitors and your customers is knowing which font and colours to use... you're already pretty vulnerable. On the other hand, if you are (continuously) working on offering greater value and building a better buying experience for your customers... you're making it more difficult for your competitors to win customers on price. No?

speedmedia

I guess you are making it a little easier... but not much. If all that stands between your cheaper competitors and your customers is knowing which font and colours to use... you're already pretty vulnerable. On the other hand, if you are (continuously) working on offering greater value and building a better buying experience for your customers... you're making it more difficult for your competitors to win customers on price. No?

True and false. If my undercutting competition lacks design skill or the knowledge to properly layout a design and they get it all ready to go on CD from my customer who got his disc burned after we completed the project. Assuming the competition has the equipment and knowhow to use it they can produce the same thing I did for much cheaper.

But on the other hand if you are charging your customer enough and they do this you already got your payment for that project.

Damned if you do damned if you don't...lol

Thanks,
Kurt

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The bible for this idea is the book:
"Corporate Identity Manuals" by David E. Carter

The modern - though not as comprehensive - is "Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team" by Alina Wheeler

Here is a sample of one...
http://www.diebold.com/brandmanual.pdf

I only design, and send items out for bid, or have the client do it. I do make graphic standard manuals so anyone can replicate the design. I don't want anyone messing up, what probably took some time (and expense) to design.

The Diebold manual is obviously overkill, but I do a dumbed down version for small businesses so they have some control over their design.

I also design sign systems with a "standards" detail to it so when the job is done, and 5 years down the road they need to add a sign or a sign needs to be replaced. Any sign shop could reproduce the sign with very little hassle.

I get the idea that a sign shop wants control of the design to keep a flow of income from the client. Hopefully you are getting paid for the design. But as a designer, I want that design to stay in the form that was originally intended without some rogue printer or signshops interpretation stamped on it. The client will be getting what they paid for, for years to come.

Jon Aston

True and false. If my undercutting competition lacks design skill or the knowledge to properly layout a design and they get it all ready to go on CD from my customer who got his disc burned after we completed the project. Assuming the competition has the equipment and knowhow to use it they can produce the same thing I did for much cheaper.

But on the other hand if you are charging your customer enough and they do this you already got your payment for that project.

Damned if you do damned if you don't...lol

Thanks,
Kurt

Hang on a minute! :)

Who said anything about handing them the artwork on a disc? Not me.

speedmedia

Hang on a minute! :)

Who said anything about handing them the artwork on a disc? Not me.

I was refering to Signgal with the part about "font, colors, etc. and possibly the art file.

Obviously if they don't have the artwork most design hacks don't have enough sense to copy or rebuild something unless it is purely very simple or run through auto trace, which sadly I have seen a lot of lately. YUCK!

Thanks,
Kurt