• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you panel this?

TheSnowman

This is 123" X 54". I'm installing it with 3M Cast Air Egress, would you panel it, or attempt it all as one piece? My gut is saying panel, but I've never done glass this big and solid before.

Attachments

• image-1395817245.jpg
    image-1395817245.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 86

VTSigns

Anytime I can get away without paneling, I do. I would definitely do this as one piece, especially since you are using easy to install material.

TheSnowman

What would you do? Just tape it up and remove the liner about 4-6" down and get the top set, then just peel the bottom off as you go? Just doesn't seem that simple being this big, but I guess it could be. I sometimes just need to do stuff like this and it's fine, but I normally stress out about it first.

TXFB.INS

we would tape it up and set it on one end, then use a big squeegee and your done.

if no big squeegee then setting the top edge and using gravity will be your friend

fmg

Center hinge top to bottom.Peel back release liner on one half,and squeegee .Repeat for the other side and smooth out using the squeegee.Job done!

a77

Hey dumb question, but now would you center hinge it?
Would you slice away a strip of the liner and put that on first? Is there a trick/tool to cut away a little strip of liner away that from the back cleanly?
I don't see how using tape top and bottom would secure it well enough, you'd be taping on the frame and that won't hold down nicely on the glass.

And another dumb question, if you had to do this with one installer, would the center hinge method even be possible? I'm thinking it would be possible with 1 person going top down, but still not easy.

TheSnowman

Yea, my theory is going to be cut 6" or so off the top liner and get someone to help me line it up I think, then pull the back off as I work my way down and just work across back and fourth. I don't see how two little pieces of tape are gonna hold this much weight up. I suppose I could tape both sides from the bottom, halfway up, and use that to hold the "hinge", but its just gonna be me and probably my wife helping me, so I gotta plan on me basically doing it with minor help.

bikecomedy

If you can reach the top from the ground fine if not set up something to stand on for the entire length of the window. Hinge the using the top edge. Roll under from the bottom creating about a 3" radius roll. Rolling under creates separation from the glass and allows you to work the entire length. Start the liner removal and only remove enough liner to apply the first few inches. The rolled up vinyl and liner will create support while you work. Only unroll as much as you can work. You will have complete control. If you keep scissors or a blade with you and tape you can tape the roll to the window anytime you need to reposition your footing if you had to put something to stand on by cutting off the excess liner and taping.

Practice the method using a scrap piece before. Once you do it it becomes very easy the second time. It works so well one of my customers( a national chain) watched me and then had their employees do it. Lost my job(s). :(

TheSnowman

Yea, not going for "cheap" here. Need good stuff that I can get as much life out of as possible. Wouldn't ever do this wet when I have the option of air release vinyl, but that's just me. Doing stuff wet is a last resort when I'm forced to use cheap material...but even then I just charge more for installation.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Just curious why you would not apply using a perforated film?

Considering kraig has been doing this for many years I sort of give him the benefit of the doubt that he is aware of window perf and that in this scenario it is not desired for any numbers of reasons..... we recently did a big window in a similar situation with solid vinyl. Behind the windows was a big storage room, not particularly attractive. When lights are on inside you can see right in perf.

As other said, one piece. I'd center hinge as well but taping vinyl in place on windows can often be challenging due to the inset of the window. On the one I recently did I had the same issue. Trimmed it to about a half inch oversized then I just used my back slitter to cut the backing all the way across about 3" from the top pulled the paper off there and used that edge to tack it in place then just rolled the backing down as I went working my way across and down.

fmg

Considering kraig has been doing this for many years I sort of give him the benefit of the doubt that he is aware of window perf and that in this scenario it is not desired for any numbers of reasons..... we recently did a big window in a similar situation with solid vinyl. Behind the windows was a big storage room, not particularly attractive. When lights are on inside you can see right in perf.

As other said, one piece. I'd center hinge as well but taping vinyl in place on windows can often be challenging due to the inset of the window. On the one I recently did I had the same issue. Trimmed it to about a half inch oversized then I just used my back slitter to cut the backing all the way across about 3" from the top pulled the paper off there and used that edge to tack it in place then just rolled the backing down as I went working my way across and down.
Oh you must be Kraigs clone.Interesting. Very very interesting

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Oh you must be Kraigs clone.Interesting. Very very interesting

Lol not quite. I just see that he is registered since 2007 is all. I do realize you only asked out of curiosity. Was not intended as a jab at your or anything. Just read your post and figured he has his reasons for using what he is using.