• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you try this?

thewvsignguy

Customer comes in for lettering all the time. He bought a 2013 Black SS Camaro and starts to add all sorts of goodies. He asks if we have any carbon fiber vinyl, I show him some of the samples 3M sent us(1080 I think). He loved the Black and asked if it will do go over curves, I said yea that's what it's made for. Not knowing what he was bringing back to me.

So he leaves and comes back 20 minutes later and hands me these pieces from under the hood. I look at it kinda dumbfounded, I've done very little wrapping and did not expect this.

For the senior wrap installers, is this something you could or would do? I've installed thousands of designs and lettering over the years, but is there a film that will work better with this? BTW, he just wants the Black parts done in the CF.

The material is a slightly textured ABS plastic stuff. I'm also worried about the heat required with some films, I don't want to melt or destroy the pieces.

Attachments

• 20121026_165717.jpg
    20121026_165717.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 107

HulkSmash

Customer comes in for lettering all the time. He bought a 2013 Black SS Camaro and starts to add all sorts of goodies. He asks if we have any carbon fiber vinyl, I show him some of the samples 3M sent us(1080 I think). He loved the Black and asked if it will do go over curves, I said yea that's what it's made for. Not knowing what he was bringing back to me.

So he leaves and comes back 20 minutes later and hands me these pieces from under the hood. I look at it kinda dumbfounded, I've done very little wrapping and did not expect this.

For the senior wrap installers, is this something you could or would do? I've installed thousands of designs and lettering over the years, but is there a film that will work better with this? BTW, he just wants the Black parts done in the CF.

The material is a slightly textured ABS plastic stuff. I'm also worried about the heat required with some films, I don't want to melt or destroy the pieces.

Lots of heat on a low energy plastic. It won't last.

Patentagosse

Major waste of time. Just pass and don't look back. If he insists, just sell the film by sq.ft. and tell him "Good Luck"... save you the nightmare of molding tricky parts... made of low energy plastic of top of that.

My 0.02¢

thewvsignguy

Yea, that's the next thing I'm looking into I just could not remember what the process was called. Time to google hydrographics and see what I can find.

g&eprinting

Mail it to me I'll airbrush it!

Am I wrong or is that an engine cover made to hold some heat???

Heat the film to death not the plastic and mold it in there with a wet sponge or foam.

and yes ton o work, only reward is after that you'll be wrapping circles around some people.

Practice with those samples you have on something with similar curves and see if you are up to it.

HulkSmash

Heat the film to death not the plastic and mold it in there with a wet sponge or foam.

and yes ton o work, only reward is after that you'll be wrapping circles around some people.

Practice with those samples you have on something with similar curves and see if you are up to it.

no.

thewvsignguy

I think I could paint it but there is just as much or the same amount of work involved. I'm looking into the Hydro Dipping as being the best IMHO solution.