• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would your business survive?

round man

In another thread someone asked if the power went down and you had no electricity would your business last three months. Well I am posing the question here,,....if the electrical grid went down for whatever reason,..storm damage, (I can recall hurricaine hugo in the Carolina's we lost it for over two weeks,in New Orleans area they lost it for at least a month after Katrina) terrorist attack or whatever,...would your business survive? Please I just want honest answers no smart ass remarks like thats what they make generators for,..suppose there was an electromagnetic pulse storm and the generator was not an option,or there was no fuel available for them.If there was a need for emergency signage for crowd control and directional signage to emergency centers for the masses ? Would you still be able to be of service to your community on a professional basis and appearance? Naturally this forum wouldn't be available to answer your questions as all the servers would be down,....Communications would be down as they require power for the cell towers and comm centers,...It's a simple question that hopefully would never actually have to be answered in real life,but theoretically would your business be a benifit or a victom of said scenerio?

Last edited:

JR's

Hi round man,
to answer your hypothetical question, the answer would be yes. If I had to I could would I want to no.

And I would have to actually play solitaire on the table. :)

JR

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hurricane Iniki in 1992, we went without power for 3 months... it was fun. Lots of friends over, hanging out together and got work done.

TheSnowman

Would I survive...probably, that's why I have insurance for stuff like that. However, if I'm not able to do anything, neither can anyone else in my town...

round man

Personally I wouldn't put too much faith in insurance companies,...several went under here after Hugo and left alot of folks hanging,....myself included,.... from personal experience they are the first to respond and the last to actually fess up to their responsibilty and pay up

thmooch

X-acto & whatever 651 + whatever transfer tape I have on coro...KaChing $$$. Does any one carry cash these days(banks closed no power) cause IOU not gonna cut it.

TheSnowman

Personally I wouldn't put too much faith in insurance companies,...several went under here after Hugo and left alot of folks hanging,....myself included,.... from personal experience they are the first to respond and the last to actually fess up to their responsibilty and pay up
In that case...no.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
a need for emergency signage for crowd control and directional signage to emergency centers for the masses ? Would you still be able to be of service to your community on a professional basis and appearance?

Yep, I have a steel storage cabinet full of 1-shot and brown quills.

12+ cans of colored Krylon for the quickie directional arrows to be applied to cars and brick walls.

Vine charcoal, chamois and laminate backing paper for paper signs/banners...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Short of losing my eyesight in a blinding nuclear flash, I could rock on. Actually, I'd hope power was never restored. I could paint signs by candle light if need be. I'd miss y'all in here tho.

Mosh

I have a deisel generator at our farm for such times. It can even supply our welder with 220 power. Out in the country you pretty much have to have a set-up like this in order to get by. We have power outages in the winter all the time, and this winter we were off the grid for 7 days in one stretch. So I will say yes as long as I have 13 gallons of fuel a day, for normal duty (we have 1500 gal tank for our equipment so we can last a while)
As far as losing the web, it would hurt, but I think we would overcome and adapt.

In the case of an electromaget pulse senerio, WHO IS GOING TO NEED A SIGN? Yes I would survive, we have about a years supply of canned foods from our farm, lots of cured meats and as you all know loads of fire-arms and ammo. And the ability to re-load shells so running out of bullets would take a while.
Lots of animals (deer, turkey, hogs, pheasants, fish) around here to eat as well. We could get by as normal for at least a couple of years. In fact I have always dreamed of such a day. Then only true craftmen would be safe. All the white collar people would be in a world of hurt.

Last edited:

saktrnch

I think the first week would be the biggest adjustment. I have an inverter that can run everything in my shop for several days. And a generator to run the farm stuff. And I learned a long time ago to siphon. I also have a year 'round creek so the stock could get water, until I had to eat them. I'm also a ham radio operator and on the emergency communications team in our county. And I have plenty of horses so I could ride over to the next town and get a jug of gas if I needed to...

jiarby

sure...

I'd start selling BBQ & Beef Jerky that I made in my smokers! All these HOA subdivision rats don't know how to cook without a microwave... I'll get rich!

Pat Whatley

The questions is absolutely ridiculous. This new holier than thou, I can handletter and you can't trend that popped up here today is F'ING RIDICULOUS.

To answer your question...SURE, it would survive. I'd lock the f'ing doors because nobody else in downtown Montgomery would be open meaning there would be no customers. No power would also mean no phones so they sure wouldn't be calling. I'd spend my days sitting with my feet in the lake, drinking tasty beverages and living off my savings until the magic electrical fairy came by and flipped the light switch back on.

Last edited by a moderator:

round man

Pat no one asked you to judge,...there other ways of producing signs without a brush that do not need electricity,silkscreening and dimentional work comes to mind,..one could hand cut the letters,..My question was and still is how many have the skills once the "grid goes down" and or are you a prisoner of technology,..thus a victom if you don;t have access to the electrical power to run it,....It would only seem practical that one would attain a certain amount of skill if they practiced the trade long enough to be of service to their community in an emergency if need be,....not to just make a buck,....hell anyone can call themselves a sign painter all they have know is their abc's and ten numbers,..

Last edited:

Browner

Seriously?

I'd be more concerned about how the food in my fridge, or the meat in the deep freeze isn't going to go bad - assuming this doesn't happen during the 8 months of winter we have up here ;)

ddarlak

Go Bills!
yes, i'd survive....

i'd just call old round ass, tell him to load up his horse and cart(since there ain't no gas)with all his good old fashion sign powerless equipment, and promise him all the young girls and whiskey he wants to make signs for me as i get busy getting the electrical grid back online , all while single handedly holding the russian forces who are coming up thru mexico off with my shotgun......

Mosh

I would driving around in a black interceptor wired to explode if you mess with the fuel tanks, with a dog trained to attack, sometimes. Watch out for the "Feral Kids" they bite.