• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WOW, as in WOW, ever have a gun pulled during a job interview????

Hicalibersigns

Yeah. 25 years of job interviews. I have hired hundreds of people and conducted many more interviews, but this was a first. Had an interview this evening. My partner had already interviewed the guy and I met him at the office at 4:00. My partner likes to conduct a formal interview and I like to have an informal session. Kind of like here's what I like to do so what do you like, etc. It is amazing what you find out during these informal sessions. People tend to spill their guts. I was conducting the interview when I happened to mention that my partner and I are firearms enthusiasts and spend most weekends shooting sporting clays. The guy says, "yeah, I am a firearms enthusiast too! Some people carry a switchblade knife, but I carry a switchblade gun." and proceeded to whip out a North American Arms .22 caliber holster grip pistol, brandish it and place it back into his pocket. I know this is VERY disconcerting for many of you, but this is Texas and carrying a firearm is not uncommon at all. I started to ask, "Do you have a Concealed Carry License?", but decided not to make an issue of it, because I didn't want to promote an incident.

What a shame. The guy had excellent credentials, and we were going to hire him tomorrow, but this is a guy that we wanted to turn over the production side of the business to. I don't care that he carries, but I do care that he has incredibly bad judgement. Next interview. Can't hire somebody that has that kind of judgment.

Very disappointing. I have had some strange moments in interviews over the years, but this is the first time I have ever had somebody brandish a firearm. Even in Texas this is just weird.

mark galoob

First I don't see what the big deal here is. You told him of ur love of guns and he took that to mean you were cool with guns. If he's as good as his credentials he's prob mature enough to carry. He did not threaten u at all he was just showing u his piece. I say hire him it will be a good decision. Just because he carries doesn't make him a criminal or a bad person.

Second that's the same gun I carry every day And would prob Carry to an interview without a second thought.

Mark Galoob

skyhigh

Hire him as a security guard. :rolleyes:

I'm all for the "right to bear arms", but this did show very poor judgment.

saktrnch

Seems to me you opened the gun door, he didn't. And since you wanted him to be in charge of production, it should be a good fit. He can back up what he tells people to do. A modern day old time western...

skyhigh

So the big deal is that he showed it to you?

Responsible gun owners/carriers, leave their gun concealed unless they are out on the range (Or if someone pisses them off (jk). Never pull your gun in an office/interview setting for any reason.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm kinda on the fence on this one... how enthusiastically were you speaking about your love of firearms? Betting he thought he was sharing something that is not that unusual in your area and that you would appreciate it.

Now if he pulled the gun out, pointed at you and said "This is how I roll if ya' don't hire me..." well that would be a different story...

skyhigh

I would feel different if the guy mentioned he had a "concealed" permit, and mentioned that he always "carries". I wouldn't blackball him for that. No matter what the conversation, the only time it should have left his pocket is if "highcalibersigns" asked to see it.

"Firearm Etiquette 101"

omgsideburns

You never pull it out. Talk all you want, but unless someone says "hey can I see it?" it's completely improper.

that's what she said.

Craig Sjoquist

You opened the door about interest in guns .. he was just trying to connect.

What is bad is I've had SIGN SHOP owners take shots at me while I'm working up high 3 days in a row seen the bullets hit.
Another grease my scaffolds so I and worker slip off while climbing.
Customers pull guns out while trying to sell.
Customers bring out the dogs.

wakes you up a bit.

While I don't think *in the context its being told* that it was the best choice, we also don't know how enthusiastic you were, if you were talking about specific guns, or if it was brought up real quick and then the gun was brought out. I think that if he knows about guns and how to carry them, and is responsible... why not hire him? (but yes I would double check if he has a permit)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Stacy... I'm kinda on the fence. I don't know the amount of enthusiasm you had in your voice or eyes when talking about you and your partners likes for guns. I know I've mentioned it on occasions when I want the other person to know I carry. There's no reason to suspect an interview to go down bad, so unless you were bragging and he took it as a signal to gain some 'brownie' points by agreeing with the boss[es]..... why would YOU bring it up to begin with ??

I've had customers and employees whip their gun out, but only after I initiated the conversation and they asked to show theirs. In your case, you did bring it up first and he did announce he carries and probably thought it was alright to show you his gun.

He sounds like a proud American. Did you check his record for any priors ?? I wouldn't write this guy off. You might need his kind some day.

signswi

You opened the door about interest in guns .. he was just trying to connect.

What is bad is I've had SIGN SHOP owners take shots at me while I'm working up high 3 days in a row seen the bullets hit.
Another grease my scaffolds so I and worker slip off while climbing.
Customers pull guns out while trying to sell.
Customers bring out the dogs.

wakes you up a bit.

What the hell? Why does anyone live in the south. :omg2:

genericname

Responsible gun owners/carriers, leave their gun concealed unless they are out on the range (Or if someone pisses them off (jk). Never pull your gun in an office/interview setting for any reason.

THIS

We don't have the same gun culture here, but where I grew up, pretty much every house had rifles, and pretty much everybody hunted. First thing I was every taught about firearms was respect. Always treat it like it's loaded; never use it to point at anyone or anything, never flaunt it, never look down the barrel, etc. etc.

What he failed to do was treat it with respect. That's a big deal when talking about a weapon, permit or no.

Locals Find!

What the hell? Why does anyone live in the south. :omg2:

Its funny but, you get used to that kinda crap. Whats more interesting still is that its usually people from up north pulling those kinda stunts. (Not that southerns won't) More people in Florida are from Up North then were actually born in the south. Common sense and respect for others gets left at the state line by many of these transplants.

genericname

Its funny but, you get used to that kinda crap. Whats more interesting still is that its usually people from up north pulling those kinda stunts. (Not that southerns won't) More people in Florida are from Up North then were actually born in the south. Common sense and respect for others gets left at the state line by many of these transplants.

That's because Florida is where we send all of our retired nutbars.

genericname

.....pull that stuff here and you would have swat team there in minutes

Aided by the fact that anyone with a gun here carries either a rifle, shotgun, or something that is highly illegal. Either way, probably not a good sign if you see someone carrying around here.