• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wow it's cold out!

thesignguy1986

I don't know about most the members on here but in NW Ohio we are at -38 below with wind chill. Non the less I along with 2 other businesses in about a mile stretch of 30 shops are open. I guess I'm just wondering if anybody else has this nightmare of weather?

On the bright side I can clean for 3 more hours

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, ya can't blame this on Gore........ or was that the internet he made possible. What a guy................. :wink:

WildWestDesigns

6°F here this morning. It warmed up to a balmy 10°F later on. I think our average for this time of year is 47°F, but I don't think we are going to be making that today.

thesignexpert

Yep, its about -30 down here in Columbus. We had to cancel a wrap install because we couldn't wash the vehicle in the cold. Still open though :rock-n-roll:

SignManiac

Currently 59 degrees here and falling fast. Suppose to go down into the low 30's as some point with wind chill near 20. This is central Florida by the way. I'm going to be forced to put on long pants tomorrow for the first time this year.

genericname

That's going to be us shortly. Woke up to 1 degree C, the car encased in a half inch of ice (not exaggerating), and every street corner flooded. With all that water and slush flowing around, it'll be one hell of a mess tomorrow with the temperature already dropping.

It's a "balmy" -45 celcius here right now....and that's with the sun out.

I hate this place right now. :banghead:

Mosh

Sunny out right now. -6 with -22 wind chill. Open all day and plan to work late tonight.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Wind chills down to 30 to 50 below tonight and tomorrow morning here in the Great U.P. of Michigan! Some businesses have closed but we're just hunkering down with some inside work here at the shop.
Going outside=DEATH

Saw Trax

It's 18 here in Georgia right now headed to a low of 5 degrees. That will be the coldest temps here since 1985!

studebaker

Deluded Artist
It's a cold one here in South Carolina too, But I've had more orders pour in today than the last two weeks.... Thank Heavens for email.

hansman

I dont know how you guys do it! I am at 79 degrees now. Not meaning to rub anything in, but man minus anything I would probably freeze to death.
And to think I grew up in the Philly area.
How do you even think of doing an install outdoors?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I dont know how you guys do it! I am at 79 degrees now. Not meaning to rub anything in, but man minus anything I would probably freeze to death.

For me, I dress in layers. I generally don't mind the cold, but these conditions the last few weeks have been unreal. The worst part is your hands or fingers, cause for certain things you still need the dexterity in your fingers and gloves just hamper that no matter what ya say. We won't go out if it's this cold if we can help it, but sometimes ya just hafta. I have a thread started about going up in a bucket in these temps and stormy conditions. Now that.... I won't do. :noway:

hansman

Going up in a bucket in these temperatures is just plain wrong. I had some brain surgeon ask me to install ABV lettering in a bucket mounted to painted concrete.... In the rain! I warned him its a pourous surface and it wont hold. I just priced it high to let someone else deal with it.

rydods

Member for quite some time.

A LOT of clothing but mainly something to cover your face and definitely keep your fingers warm. In weather below zero, once things start to go numb you have to stop and get in the truck or inside to warm up fast. It doesn't take long for frostbite to set in.
I try to wait for at least 10 above before attempting outdoor work and no lighted signs (face removal) unless it's over 20 above. Faces are too easy to crack.

This weekend it made it to 23 above so I had to get some bulbs changed, thankful for a hinged frame.

The weekend before were slide out signs...had to buy a torch and heat the bottom of the frame because the faces were frozen solid in the frame.

I hate living here this time of year. :banghead: I've recently been putting everything I can away for retirement, going to southern Florida for the winters in 30 years possibly Naples. I want to sit on my front porch in December!:thumb: