• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wow, paint coming off of truck

gabagoo

Regular customer brings me a Ford cargo van......easy job logos on doors and rear.

This logo I use cheats to line it up fast and I used 3m 2 ml vinyl.

Go to take the cheats off and a struggle starts and I can hardly get the vinyl off...breaking in small pieces, so I get out the heat gun and apply a little heat and they come off slowly. Now I see a line of glue left behind and grab some mythlhydrate....paint is coming off on the rag. WTF I now wonder if this truck was just painted yesterday, sort of stinks in my shop....grrrrrrrrr. So now it sits with glue lines and in the light I can see where the rag has rubbed the finish.

I just wish customers would let me know what's going on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tough one.

It's kinda like the people going into a restaurant, ordering up food and then complaining they have certain allergic reactions to some food groups after they've eaten the meal. Now who pays ?? :omg:

gabagoo

all is good.... guy just told me it was painted in their own shop and knows it was not done professionally.... (although it looks good to me) doesn't care, although the glue is stuck in the paint and wont come off......

Snydo

I use rare earth magnets on vehichle installs, I have several different sizes and shapes depending what I'm applying and they save a ton of time and mask hinges. And I guess my point is I've used them as 'cheats' as you call them also, but they are awesome for repositioning and measuring as well.

gabagoo

a cheat is a piece of vinyl cut out of both colours or more that all are in the exact same spot for quick laydown without having to measure and line up. You then remove the cheats. I do use magnets to hold the graphic in place before applying tape. Have to be careful as many finishes lately feel a little slippery and even earth magnets can shift.