• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap below water line on boat?

Signed Out

How well does a vinyl wrap hold up on the side of a boat where half of it would be submerged under water most of the time and the edges of the wrap will constantly crash through the water? Will a high tack vinyl hold up much better?

Christian @ 2CT Media

It peels... We did a few jet skis below the water line and it failed in one outing. We rewrapped it and they had their body shop clear coat it to the hull and its been holding up since.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It is recommended to wrap above the resting wake line, any reason why it needs to be underwater?

Could try using an edge sealer such as the one that 3M makes that is meant to seal the edges. Theya re done all over the world very successfully without the need for a clear.

Not sure if this will help with some tips - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtNXTXOX&tEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

Yes they are done all over successfully above the water line with out clear coating... if you want the vinyl to stak put below the water line you have to clear it to the hull.

worthy1

I guess if the chances of it failing are high is it worth trying to get the customer to change their mind? unless they are really keen on letting the fish's see how good their boat looks like under the water :Big Laugh

31legen

Waterline

I did my personal freestyle jet ski and sealed the edges with the 3m stuff. I've had zero issues, knock on wood.

JMPrinting

I use the 3M to seal all my wraps that I think will get a lot of dirt, water and debris. Around vehicle fenders, gas cap...ect. I would definitely use on a boat wrap as well