• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Certifications. Is it worth it?

trimitbyrich

It's probably been answered but I would love to hear your input. I have an opportunity to get Certified through 3M and Avery. Just wondering what everyone who is certified has experienced by being certified. Can I expect to get more bids for installs? Will I be able to get more clients outside of the ones I already have? How will the title actaully benefit me? Just wondering what the benefits are because I really don't want to spent $3,000 just to have a 3M or Avery Certified logo at the bottom of my website.

James Chrimes

I want to get the 3m one. It can't hurt. A lot of car dealers are offering graphics incentives to tradesmen when they buy new vehicles. I would think if you bring them a phamplet with examples of your work and certification it would help them direct customers your way.

graphics guru

heres my 2 cents worth ( well 1.5 cent worth...fiscal cliff) certs are as about as good as the paper they are printed on...and you can still whipe your a** with alot of them and get the same result.... learn the trade. learn the tricks. learn the solutions. and hone your skills daily. thats what keeps people coming back and the new ones walking in the door for more...ive done it for 15 years,,,and no certification yet... i dont need a (peace) of paper saying yes you know what you are doing, thank you for the 3K.... thats all i got to say about that

TheSnowman

I haven't ever had a customer ask me if I'm certified. I went to the Fellers class when they had it and learned a lot, but I'd probably be more apt to spend $3,000 on materials, and wrap anything I can get my hands on to learn, and read up online.

S

signs-work

99% of all customers don't even know what a wrap certification is if you tell them you have one that just sounds like its going to cost them more.

DizzyMarkus

So -- at the crossroads:

Buy a roll of Lam and a roll of Oracal and start wrapping ? I was considering a course to "get myfeet wet" but if the masses think JUST DO IT is better, maybe I should go that route
:thumb:

Markus

Richard G

Here you can have mine. I got it for buying a machine back then. My belief is that you just need to get your feet wet as I heard earlier. If you are truly new to the industry and you can afford to do it (not for the certification) but to advance yourself in the field I see no problem with it. We have been install "Wraps" way before they called them that. My 2 cents.
3M.jpg

fmg

I took an Oracal course a few years back.It was a good insight to picking up on a few techniques and thats about as far as I would look at these wrap courses.
I think the best knowledge and teaching one could get is from just practicing and reading up articles in publications and on line.
I hear that the Lowen certified is not a bad gig and that could always lead you onto 3M preferred.Not sure on the money aspect of what it costs.

Browner

Thirteen years in business and I have had exactly ONE potential client ask if I was 3M certified. Didn't bother me to say "no".

SlightlyChilled

I know someone that did the lowen set and they had a new guy"one of there guys" that never did wrap try to help and show how to wrap.....
Something along that line

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
to be certified or not to be?

The reason I want to get certified is not because what the customer wants. But to get more money on my paycheck / get a better chance to get hired anywhere.

I'm not a business owner. Only installing for 5 years now. I am specialized in 3M products like the 180cv3 and 1080 materials.
Not sure how good I am... I do work with other people and someone else who is 3M certified but none of them could wrap as good as I do.
Wonder what could challenge me more than a full seamless door jamb.
Really-really curious how would I perform if I had to take the test.

Attachments

• IMG_20121008_175708.jpg
    IMG_20121008_175708.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 146

trimitbyrich

I think some of you are misunderstanding the question. I have plenty of experience installing, been in this business for 28 years now. I'm more looking for a business opportunity. My understanding is that on e 3M certifies you that you're placed on their preferred installers list. Potential customers could find me through this list especially if I'm the only one in my area. Any one else get more work this way?

graphics guru

the only list ye need worry about is the list of referrals and what the customers are saying about you and your work to others...thats what matters and your work should speak for itself...I have listened very hard, but i have yet to hear a piece of paper(certification) utter a word

Centro Graphics

i agree with "no" to certificated, 20 years in the trade and lots of nice photos of our work is all the cert we need.

I think emphasis should be on selling and geting more work as business owner, not learning or honing on time consuming production processes, if you cant do it pay a contractor to fit and you spend your time going to see customers.

Aren't 3M our competitors in this type of work now anyway, why would you want to give them money.