• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap installation Brokering?

chasegraphics

I recieved a phone call from a guy that does that paintless dent repair and does some vinyl on the side. Well he wanted to broker some wrap installations from a local sign shop that does not know how to install wraps. Before I call him back I thought that I would ask how all my friends here on Signs 101 thought about this subject. He basically will be up-charging my installation price just so he can make some change (his words). I personally feel that this is a creepy, low life thing to do. Especially when he tells me that he is so busy with his dent repair that he has no time to do small vinyl jobs anyway. Oh, and to top it off I know the shop that called him, so should I just pay a visit to the shop and cut him out?

steve b

What if this guy is connected with that shop..... friend, brother inlaw etc.... You turn out looking like an ass! Whats wrong with the guy making some money off of a sub? and what if he brings you more work?

Doesn't sound like it's worth burning a bridge just yet.

steveb

chasegraphics

I understand that point as well Steve. He did mention that they called him out of the blue, he did not know why they even called him. But that might be a lie and you would be right. We will see...

Jillbeans

I don't think you will seem like an ass if you go and see them in person.
If I was going to be working for someone, I would want to get to know them even if they were related/etc to this "broker".
Obviously the broker can't do wraps on his own or he would probably be doing them.
If I get a call from someone who wants a service I don't do, I try to refer them to someone who can help them. But I don't try and stick my finger into their pie.
Maybe this broker person is the only "sign" person they know.
And maybe they didn't want to advertise for an installer because they don't want their clients to know that even though they offer wraps they do not install them.
Why go through a middleman if you don't have to?
The worst thing they can tell you is they don't need you.
This reminds me of Patti Stanger the Millionaire Matchmaker.
Love....Jill
PS
I get people here a lot asking if I am hiring, and even more email inquiries.

G-Artist

This is business ethics 101 and it seems like someone is flunking the course.

It makes no difference how many fingers are in the pie nor who they belong to.

If a quote is given and accepted then the job gets done to specs and is paid for and that's that.

My shop mostly does sub work for other sign shops, print houses, print brokers and ad agencies. The end customer may discover that we did some of the work and might contact us directly for additional work. If that happens we won't talk to them as they are not our client. We immediately refer them back to the agency who brought us the initial work. Only if we have express permission from the agency that sent us the job in the first place will we have any sort of discussions with the end client. And even then prices/costs are never discussed.

As to doing an end-run around another shop, broker, etal it is never a good idea and, IMHO, a sleazy business practice.

dolce05

Chasegraphics. Whats more creepy is the guy wants to just hand you work without you marketing or selling your product / services, and you want to go behind his back and deal directly with his contact. If you get what you want for the job, why are you creating a problem.

So if Hino Trucks is calling me to wrap box trucks, and I dont want to do anything but sell the job, and I contract you to do the wraps you have a problem with me making money?? Why? If that was the case and you contacted MY customer behind my back, lets just say you should probably sleep with one eye open.

Take the job/money and run, your getting more work through an outlet without marketing or spending any more money to do so....its called um Wholesale

PS Jill I respectfully agree to disagree

CentralSigns

I think G-Artist hit it right on the money and explained the moral obligations to his client perfectly. G-Artists business has honor when dealing with this issue. Going around someone only causes problems and it will be perceived as slimy or sneaky.

Remember what goes around comes around. Take the job, as long as you get the rate you would normally charge who cares, i's just another job. His company will be the name on the product, keep it separate and take the work. This setup is like having a salesperson selling his product and you making the cash profit out of it. If the customer is willing to pay the extra, the other company is going to have to charge to be above your rates and allow for some profit, so be it.

azcolor

Agreed

The guy is going to spoon feed you a job (and possibly more) and you want to go around him and get involved in the deal?
Not only is is ethics 101 but it's crazy to get involved in the sales if you get what you are asking AND don't have to sell it.

I would be supporting this guy not back dooring him.

gbarker

This is business ethics 101 and it seems like someone is flunking the course.

It makes no difference how many fingers are in the pie nor who they belong to.

If a quote is given and accepted then the job gets done to specs and is paid for and that's that.

My shop mostly does sub work for other sign shops, print houses, print brokers and ad agencies. The end customer may discover that we did some of the work and might contact us directly for additional work. If that happens we won't talk to them as they are not our client. We immediately refer them back to the agency who brought us the initial work. Only if we have express permission from the agency that sent us the job in the first place will we have any sort of discussions with the end client. And even then prices/costs are never discussed.

As to doing an end-run around another shop, broker, etal it is never a good idea and, IMHO, a sleazy business practice.

+1 We operate the same. It's the only way to go!