• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap(ish) Question...

gplough

Maybe I should be posting this in the newb forum but I have a couple questions about a job. Usually I do lettering and logos but this job requires some wrapping. See Pic. I'm just installing the red and blue stripes. Questions...

Do I remove the door handles?
Do I remove the 3500 HD emblem?

Thanks, I apologize if this is the wrong forum...

Attachments

• 3500.JPG
    3500.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 264

Dan360

I usually leave the handles and remove the emblems. Put them back on after or give to the customer depending on what they want.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'd hafta remove the handle, but we would not be putting the emblems back on at all.

OhioSigns

Door handles are very easy to remove on Chevrolet trucks, I remove them and the emblems. Most of my customers don't want the the emblems back on the vehicle because they are not worth salvaging and new ones would need to be purchased, at least ones with individual letters like the Chevy trucks have. I give them back to the customer although I'm sure they get pitched.

papabud

Lone Wolf
we remove and trash the emblems. the nice big ford ones we will go over and cut around. its easier than trying to remove them,
door handles we leave them on and cut around them

equippaint

Remove the emblems that have individual letters and file them away in the garbage can. They wont even notice they're gone. Id leave the door handles, sometimes they are a pita to put back in. .

AKwrapguy

Maybe I should be posting this in the newb forum but I have a couple questions about a job. Usually I do lettering and logos but this job requires some wrapping. See Pic. I'm just installing the red and blue stripes. Questions...

Do I remove the door handles?
Do I remove the 3500 HD emblem?

Thanks, I apologize if this is the wrong forum...

Remove the emblems and store them someplace in case the customer wants them (few ever do but you never know). As far as the door handle goes, on the chevy's it's just a torque head screw that you can unscrew to release the handle (takes a few seconds make sure not to back the screw all the way out as it will fall down into the door). When you remove the door handle and seal you can screw the screw back in to secure it. Put a little primer into the indent wrap the vehicle, trim and put the door handle back in and done.

Since it sound like you have never done this before I would watch a few video's on how to remove and install the door handle but it basically works on a lever system and you will need to use a hook or some sort of loop to pull the lever towards you and slide the handle back on. There is some grease on the lever and it will be difficult to do but it's not impossible.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Remove handles and emblems.

Something to think about for future work.
Unless you know how to wrap and then trim around a handle you can have failures in that area. It also makes installation much easier and quicker.

Even if you remove handles you also need to know how to install and trim the vinyl in those areas. Many YouTube videos on this that you can watch

LEE Bushee

I will help where I can. 30 years in Sign Business
Why is everyone hell bent on wraps? You can make more profit off general sinage. Wraps are or used to be fun but I'd rather spend my time making more money. Too many ppl out there looking at a 3000 wrap $$$$$. Look at labor and material costs. Do the math.

Bly

Spot graphics are where it's at.
In and out in a couple of hours and you can usually charge good prices.

T_K

On a partial wrap like the one you showed, I'd leave the handle on, but remove the emblem. Be sure to cut and tuck the vinyl underneath.
I check with the customers beforehand to see if they want to keep the letters, but they never have so far.