• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Wrap Newbie are 3M wrap classes any good?

kheebl

I am wanting to get into doing wraps and want to take a class. I see 3M offers a class close to me (twin cities MN) Is this a good class or is there something better. I am a 1 man operation so I highly doubt I would do a ton of wraps but I do get asked from time to time but always have to refer them elsewhere.

OPENSignsInc.

Never turn down any teaching/experience if you can. I do most of my wraps on my own. I took a 2 day class/seminar put on by my supplier (TrimUSA) and 3M almost 15 years ago. They were pretty good with showing off what new materials (3M IJ 180C & Primer 94 were game changers back then) were available in a classroom setting, but the hands on experience was awesome. They had brought in a certified 3M wrap expert to show off some techniques when dealing with certain obstacles. They then had the whole class wrap a minivan a couple times to make sure we got used to installing the material (including window perf). They also gave us a box of tools to take home including a propane torch (I used it to toast the bread on the subs they provided for lunch, lol). I've tried to keep up with new tools/techniques/materials (love the RollePro for rivets), but I'd probably go back just to see what ive missed that is new.

Dan360

It's a good class, they cover a bunch of stuff outside of car wrapping. From my experience you get out of it what you put in. My advice would be to make sure you have a firm grasp on all your other vinyl installs, wall graphics, floor, premasked, etc. The more time you can spend on the car wrap portions, the more value you'll get out of it. What you're paying for is time with a 3M installer, so always ask them questions and stay engaged with them. Even if you think you know the answer, they might have a different take and it will at least start a dialogue. There's usually a couple people that are there to be certified, you'll find this out in the first day, but keep note of who those people are. If the 3M guys are busy and you get stuck, don't sit around, ask those guys and then confirm it with the trainers when available.

I could've have gotten a lot more out of it. Having never touched vinyl to a car myself when taking it, the 3 days fly by and at the end I wasn't at the point I hoped to be but it was my fault for not engaging myself enough.

Last edited: