• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap over Rivets or not??

cmaxdesigns

I am wrapping a 12 foot trailer with rivests and would like to here your experiences on wrapping over the top of them or pulling them out and replacing over the wrap? I am wrapping with Oracal calendared wrap vinyl and their cast laminate.

Also it is a bit weird, the rivets are an 8 star pattern which I cannot find anyone who carries a tool to pull them out. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Malkin

Most use a square drive bit.

I found a 8 pointed star bit, designed for drilling and removing stubborn screws, that works well.

Letterbox Mike

It's a #2 square bit.

Removing the screws is a pain but makes for a much easier installation and a longer lasting wrap. If you're really up for a challenge, paint the screws so they blend in with the wrap...

GK

For fleet applications there's no chance your removing the rivets. Especially the time frame the large accounts need the work done in. One-off jobs, up to you. I would be more interested in why you are going with a calendared wrap film and a cast laminate though...any particular reason?

cmaxdesigns

GK -
No particular reason other then what my supplier has recommended for wraps without compound curves.

Insignia - Thanks for the information. I would have never guessed that even though it makes sense.

Will the structural integrity of the trailer be compromised by taking off the rivets for a short period of time?

RICKMAN

rivets

I have never heard of anyone removing the rivets to apply graphics. Some trailers that I have seen could have 3,000 rivets. It would take forever to remove all. Best bet is to use conformable 3M 2 milcast vinyl with comply' and overlay with with 3M 8914 clear.
Good luck but holler if you need help!
RICKMAN
rmillican@yahoo.com

cmaxdesigns

RICKMAN - Strange, it seems like many of the shops around here are wrapping under the rivets and the customer is asking for this because another shop they went to installs wraps under rivets.

Thanks in advance for potential help, I may have a few more questions.

Chad
The Wrap Lab

BobM

If they are aluminum rivets they would have to be drilled out and replaced. To replace a rivet you need and air hammer on the outside and a bucking tool on the inside. More work to do that than to install the wrap since you also need to remove the inside lining to "buck" the rivets. Chances are it has the screws. If you clean the trailer and especially the screw heads you can wrap right over them. Be sure the cleaning liquid is completly dry and gone before you start.

vinylbarry

Small trailers we have removed them with the #2 square bit and a cordless drill didnt take much time at all and it does make for a clean finish wrap.

Zambookajoe

I always remove the rivets where I can, It makes for a extra easy install I guess If youd compared the times for removing or installing right over them it would be pretty close.

stickasteve

I go over them because no one wants to pay us to take that extra time to remove them. Every rivet takes 20 seconds to remove totally, then to put them back in also... I'm no panel repair guy and that opens the potential for a different can of worms. Primer 94, and you're done!

Dane DeFord

I always remove the screws (rivets) with a #2 square bit and a variable speed drill. For any screws that might be a little stuborn (on older trailers) take the bit, put it the screw and tap the back of it with a hammer. That will generally loosen it up. Make sure that you get the bit all the way into the screw before trying to remove, they can and will strip very easily.

Dane

kev3232

pro has an awesome youtube video on how to do the rivets if you decide to cover them. problem is, it will take you about 3 days to get the rivets done using his "woodpecker", rollepro, heat gun, and finger eff method.

Custom Bob

I always remove the screws. It makes the job easier and more professional looking when done.
Do yourself a favor. Before taking the screws out, gently tap them with a hammer if the trailer is not brand new.

high impact

Calendared will tent soon if you apply over the screws. It all depends on how much time you allowed for the job. I will remove screws when applying a die cut job but when wrapping I'd just use cast instead of the cal and apply right over them.

Prism1

Kev...you crack me up...but right there with ya brother.

Rivets = Round solid head, usually semi flush/flush with side skin.

Screws = Round with 8 star pattern, sticks up. Older ones (5+ years ago ) were smaller. Now most of the trailer mfg's use the bigger one.

Now that we got that clarified for those talking about drilling out and bucking rivets...

Putting vinyl over RIVETS is a no brainer. Easy.

Primer/no primer/woodpecker/rolle/torch...Whatever...they will NOT stay down in a PROFESSIONAL manner using Calendered material...PERIOD!!. DON'T do it!! You will be doing yourself, the customer, and this industry a Dis-Service. I have done over 50 trailers with "Screws". It is hard enough to get 2mil cast to stay TIGHT around those screws ( and not rip/tear ). We have gone over screws, AND removed screws ( including a few 40 footers ) with great success. However...if you don't know how to use a screw gun, you will strip them out = not a good day. If you gonna use calendered material ( and thats ok on a flat trailer ), Remove the screws. We remove half of one panels screws, install, then the other half.

WB

I just finished a 26' truck with Rivets every 16".. took just as long to do the rivets as it did you apply the graphics.. I hate rivets

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
My preference is to wrap rivets and remove screws. Installing over screws isn't the problem, it's the tenting and premature failure around the screws. The vinyl gets brittlle in the midwest cold and in a year or 2 crack and fail. If I was in a warmer climate I would probable just wrap over them.

cmaxdesigns

Lots of great information. Y'all rock. I believe I am going to take the rivets out and install the wrap. I will post pics when finished.