• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrap question

Bladey

I have a small wrap to do on a small aluminium boat. This will be my first go at it. Its on my own boat so its all pratice, i am printing on air release vinyl, i want it cleared aswell for protection. Just wondering if i laminate the print before or after the print and if i use just normal lam or is there also air release lam to use. Prob noob questions but this wrap stuff is all new to me cheers.

Bly

Do a search there have been numerous threads on boat wraps.
Use a good cast wrap film with matching lam and seal the edges.

Snydo

You definately want to laminate, it will last much longer and install a little easier. I did my aluminum fishing boat last year, and it turned out awesome.

Make sure it is spotless clean, wipe THOROUGHLY with isopropyl alcohol, then when you think it is clean wipe it down again. Start at the back and lay away. The bow wont be easy(if it's a V-hull) if you've never wrapped but you should be able to get it down. Get a case of beer and invite a buddy to lend a hand. Good Luck.

Bladey

Haha snydo. There will definetly be a box of beer on hand. Thanks for the replys, so do i lam first then apply of lam after?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Just to be clear on this...... I'd definitely recommend laminating AFTER you print, not before. While most solvent based machines can and will print on laminate just fine it sort of defeats the purpose of the laminate protecting the ink from UV and whatnot, unless you plan on double laminating it. :wink: Regardless you definitely want to laminate it and also definitely do not want to apply laminate onto vinyl that is already installed on something. Print, let it sit and outgas for at least a day or so if you are running a solvent (or eco solvent) printer. Laminate, then trim it and install. For beginners, Avery MPI 1005 EZ is a good film to work with. 3M and Oracal (and probably a couple of others) are also excellent but they do have a higher initial tack and might not be as easy to work with if you are not very experienced installing wraps.

Snydo

Pics or it didn't happen.
Yep, pics PLEASE!

Ok, Ok, take it easy. I now feel like I need to pre-qualify the use of the word 'awesome', but this boat is a '96 and spent every spring, summer, fall docked....dock rash is an understatement. I spent 15 to 20 hours doing surface prep to get it smooth and clean. Anyhow, I dug it out of it's winter slumbering hole well enough to snap a shot.

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 103
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 122

reQ

Can't wait to get out on the water it's been a long winter!! :rock-n-roll:

That's what i am waiting for lol. Was planing to have a blast ice fishing this season, but got abnormally busy winter season so i did not go ice fishing at all lol. But will go on open water for sure!

Snydo

Man what a difference!! Turned out great.

That boat is sweet to begin with. I've got a little 14' with a 14hp stashed at my buddy's cabin. It looks like a piece of crap but works like a charm to troll for walleye.

We just throw it in the back of my truck and "launch" it at the beach by throwing it in the water lol.

Can't wait to get out on the water it's been a long winter!! :rock-n-roll:

I would walleye fish every stinking day if I could. I fish Saginaw Bay, and both Bay De Nocs every chance I get, which is not nearly often enough. I really want to try Bay of Quinte one of these years.