• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap question

rzr2rocket

I was told that for motorsports applications, the you do not need to laminate the vinyl. Since it will only be on there for 6 months. Is this true? This does sound like a cost savings but i just find it hard to believe.

gnatt66

for race cars? yes you do. racers use solvents like brake cleaner that will erase a printed graphic like it was never there. the cars get greasy and grimy and the graphics need protection.

find 'cheap' lam, clear vinyl...something, anything. I've spray lam'd stuff for my own car when i first got my printer and it looked like crap within 2 weeks.

Oracal 3621/lam is the ideal combination for stock car stuff, imo(thanks outlaw graphics for this advice). even 'small' sponsor graphics are great with this because if the racer wants to move it, just peel it up and put it somewhere else on the car (yes it works, did it all the time).just clean the area and squeegee it down in the new location/on the replacement panel, etc.

B-RAD Graphics

what are you wrapping?..1st without lam it is very hard to manage..to thin. 2nd in motorsports they clean stuff with chemicals even if you tell them they cant...not worth it in my opinion. But is cheaper

rzr2rocket

Mainly I'll be wrapping dirt late models. Like I said I couldnt imagine that without laminating, but I needed some other opinions. Thanks everyone!

encadtech

The question really is -so what is the application and how long do you want it on the substrate. When I did graphics for my mini-stock and sportsman class cars - I wouldn't know if the car would still have the metal on it by the end of the race. On the ground pounders and legends cars - because of their nerf bars and drivers are apt to trade less paint - their graphics would last a whole season. If you use an inexpensive laminate - install is easier and the graphics are less prone to damage. I traditionally use the 4560 GTX from arlon with a Solvex overlam. This is about the same cost as using the 3M w/out the lam so the cost difference is neglible. - I have done tailgates on trucks w/out lam with sucess that look good for 3 years. KC

Just Me

glad i could help gnatt66. oracal 3621 or 3640 with 210 oracal lam or transparent 3621 works just as good. durable and shiny:thumb:

Pat Whatley

Come on. Why does this question keep coming up? Lamination is about .35¢ psf. That will add very little to the price of a typical racecar job, make application immensely smoother, and provide them with a product that's actually finished the way it was meant to be.

If you would letter the car without lamination for $450 are they really going to even notice if you raide the price so you can do it right for $485?

trimitbyrich

The material is tgoo thin without laminate to install. It's a nightmare to install without it. The material gets very thin after you put ink to it. You will definitely find that the extra cost of the laminate will more than make up for the cost during install. It will actually save you money, because as we all know TIME IS MONEY!

grafixemporium

You have to laminate... there simply is no reasonable argument otherwise. If you're a cheapa$$ and have to cut corners every which way you can, then just use a lesser quality cast vinyl/lam product. Otherwise stick to 3M 180C and 8518/19/20 laminate. There are some crazy specials going on with Grimco and GSG until the end of the year. Take advantage of the good pricing and do your job the right way.

Mosh

If you are going to touch it lam it. Unless you just bought a "wrap machine" and no one told you about all the rest involved! They should not have charged you so much, You can do that yourself! Darn those purfeesunal sign folk! I will be a showing them!

heyskull

In the UK I am coming across loads and loads of vehicles unlaminated.
There must be some cheapa$$ companies over here as I know of 4 jobs I quoted that when my competitors printed them they were unlaminated.
Even some big companies like Asda, Tescos etc (Walmart to yous guys) have full colour prints on there vehicle unlaminated!!!
I have seen huge wraps over here unlaminated and the customer has accepted it unknowingly that it should be laminated.

SC