• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Removal Charge

"Deposit Please"

A potential customer wants a quote on removing a wrap on their short-bus. They say it's full wrap, but i won't know for sure until they send me a pic. I have no idea what kind of media was used or how long it has been on the bus, but i'm certain lot's of time, elbow grease and heat will be needed. How do you charge for removal? by sq ft, if so how much? I removed wraps on our shop vehicles before, but never on a scale like this. Any help would be appreciated.

formanek

Before I would start the removal the customer would be signing a waiver stating any damage done from removal is not the fault of you. Who knows what is under the wrap, if the edges were cut scoring the clear coat, etc... Just be safe.

MikePro

Give him a "Do Not Exceed" number option, and quote your hourly rate for labor. You start peeling and realize its gonna take twice the amount of labor you thought, stop and consult.

+1 to signing a waiver releasing you from paint damage.

OldPaint

wait till the PAINT COMES OFF WITH THE WRAP!!!!!! then you got a whole new mess on your hands. i would tell them to do it THEMSELVES ......this way you got no liability for a TOTAL VEHICLE REPAINT!!!!!

Rydaddy

Ditto on billing per hour. Most customers will be shocked at this if you have not told them this before. I'm sure I've lost work before by doing this but we learned the hard way. By the hour only.

d fleming

Give him a "Do Not Exceed" number option, and quote your hourly rate for labor. You start peeling and realize its gonna take twice the amount of labor you thought, stop and consult.

exactly

Mosh

Send them to a body shop, that is what I do...unless it is a wrap I dd...then I send them to a body shop. All my "cans" went south so we "can't" do that anymore!!!

Border

ding ding ding!
This is how I usually try to handle it as well. -Too many variables to quote removing a wrap of unknown origins.

BargainSigns

We pulled a wrap off a van that took 2 guys 2 days! It was a nightmare! I ate some of the cost since I was rewrapping it, but had him sign a waiver saying "I make no guarantees about the paint underneath" in so many words. Everyone is right, though. Time and materials.

p3

Yea. most definitely hourly. I had a couple vans a while back, one took me about a day to do, and the other a little over 2 days. Paint came up with it, the vinyl had cracked into a million little pieces, left all kinds of glue behind. Was a nightmare. But the pay was good for blisters on my thumbs.

cartoad

We send them to a detail shop, he has all the chemicals, and buffers to complete the job, and I fugure that my help's time and mine is better put to use makeing signs.

k6media

Recently we've been dealing with a local company that does all of our removals. We've found that removals don't make sense financially (depending on the amount of vinyl on the vehicle). It is more economical to have a vehicle inside the shop using your bay that is having graphics being applied to it vs. removed. We've worked out some rates that really make sense.. and it's been a positive change.

Other then that.. the only way to go on removals is an hourly rate.