• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Removal Help!!!

ngates

Does anyone have any suggestions on removal? See attached Picture.

The pieces are coming off about the size of a dime. If we use heat or no heat the size is all about the same just different amounts of adhesive left behind.

Help!!!

There has to be a better way!

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 159

ngates

Wow, you guys are quick at responding. We've been praying. Praying that the customer would decide not to move forward with removal.

We do charge by the hour for removal, but we certainly want to get this out of the shop as quickly as we can.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Rent a steam pressure washer or hire someone who has one. A Wagner will still be slow going but with a steam pressure washer you can blow the old vinyl right off without damaging the vehicle surface.

ngates

Yeah, I was just talking to one of my partners about needing a Snickers.

I have a regular pressure washer. Do you think that would work?

Craig Sjoquist

Wagner steam cleaner works fine but still be slow but a lot faster then other methods if poor paint job it will peel up paint also.

Pressure steam oh yeahh like to try that.

MikePro

had a parking garage with large floor to ceiling wall murals.
got a call, asking why our graphics were coming off just a few months after install.
went to inspect, no debris on the adhesive, and tugging on the "dog-ears" wasn't releasing any more of the graphic.... really was scratching my head on this one.

talking to staff, trying to get ahold of my contact onsite, I inquired about how they cleaned the murals... low and behold, they power-steam wash the entire garage on a weekly basis!!!

quick discussion with my contact about the situation, we decided that I would fix the murals at no charge (i really just had to reheat/apply the graphics, just a few hours of extra labor but it made them really happy)
....BUT they were to never again be steam cleaned :)

amw

Longtime Members
Rent a steam pressure washer or hire someone who has one. A Wagner will still be slow going but with a steam pressure washer you can blow the old vinyl right off without damaging the vehicle surface.

+10
We used to own a pressure cleaning business and had steam pressure washers. They can make quick work of vinyl removal (along with many other things). We still wish we would have kept one, it would have been handy!

Marsha

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Vinyl that bad you need to plow not pull.
Heat gun, torch, steamer, hot power washer...

Tell them no... :noway: pita

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Look at this Beauty! One of my first jobs...black vinyl on van roof, scraped and banged up from drivers going through drive through's they shouldn't have.
NIGHTMARE. Leaning over the top, fingers rubbed raw ...we turn those down.

Attachments

• HotRoof1.jpg
    HotRoof1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 162
  • HotRoof2.jpg
    HotRoof2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 129
  • HotRoof3.jpg
    HotRoof3.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 147

WestbankKurt

Removal

I worked at a shop that used some sort of eraser head on a power drill that body shops use and it took old vinyl right off.

tylercrum

Fred, I have a horrible removal to do, but one of my customers is a tool rental place so I have access to a steam pressure washer, my question is, what temperature would you set it at? I don't want to guess and guess wrong and screw up the vehicle.

heyskull

I hope this is not a wrap you applied!!!
If not charge by the hour and state that it may need a re paint afterwards.
I personally will not remove graphics/wrap of customers vehicles as they are never willing to pay for the time and materials used.
Customers think us signmakers have magic machines that remove all that crud and make it look like new.
I reckon that has been on way too long to ever hope of getting it of cleanly.

SC