• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Sales Cold Calling Tips?

Hi Everyone! I need to get some wraps sold. We've just opened and have things pretty well ready to go but now I need to go out and get business. I've done a little bit so far, some truck window perf jobs and I think those will lead to some word-of-mouth, but I need to jump start this thing. I've got lots of overhead tied up in this venture and can't wait months for the referral stream to pick-up.

I'm thinking the fastest way to make it rain is to go out and knock on doors. Cold calling.

My target is mostly wraps, vehicles and I also love structure wraps such as walls and floors.

Rather than bore you with my ideas of what would work on a cold call and who I should go after, I'd love to hear what has worked for you! Is there a particular type of business you would target first? A particular time of day? Day of week? Any tricks of the trade that really get people to move? Any particular phrases that seem to work?

My truck is wrapped and looks good so I'd have that to show people, but I don't have ANY "look what we did" pictures because I'm looking for the first sales now.

Thanks for sharing your experience! (also, if something works better/faster than cold calling, I'm open to other methods)

Oh, almost forgot... I would love to get into interior decor type stuff such as fabric and paper wall coverings, custom murals, etc. - so any experience in that area would help too. But I'm thinking the bread-and-butter will be vehicle wraps. ???

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I didn't see an introduction, so I don't know your experience...

Do you have a portfolio?
What is the quality of your design work?

TimToad

How much market research did you do before investing in all your equipment and location?

How many years did you do this type of work in your area before investing in your equipment and identity?

How long have you actually been doing any related work in your area?

How far is it to Fort Meyers and Sarasota, the two towns where you're more likely to draw work from then a tourism based town of 17,000?

I'm not trying to throw a wrench in your idea that there is some magic trick that is going to make it start "raining" the exact type of work you want to specialize in and have geared up for, but it just isn't as easy at it looks to build a business.

Is you shop located on a prominent street? If so, get yourself a good looking sign out front pronto. Is your work vehicle wrapped in a high quality way with an effective, high quality design? If not, get on it ASAP. Nothing sells good work, like already existing good work.

How about your contractor friends who have businesses in the area? Offer to wrap a couple of their trucks for a greatly reduced price and chalk it up to advertising.

Several times a year, we choose a potential or existing client who is really easy to work with and open to our design ideas and we give them a knockout looking sign far above what they expected or were paying for. The word of mouth from them alone is worth its weight in gold.

I didn't see an introduction, so I don't know your experience...

Do you have a portfolio?
What is the quality of your design work?

Maybe there is somewhere else I'm suppose to have an introduction that I don't know about. I don't figure I should start every forum thread with a short bio, should I?

I don't have a portfolio. I am a good designer however. It's just kind of complicated to get into my life history as to how I can be certain I'm a very good designer but don't have a portfolio.

That's why I'm asking about cold calling tips... I just wondered what worked for people who have cold-called businesses, which I know won't be everyone.

Andy D

Just a thought, and this is coming from someone that has never wrapped a vehicle in their life, so maybe it wouldn't work very well.. or at all.
I have always thought if I were starting out in wrapping I would do as much of the install on site at the customers location, outside, where everyone could watch.
Set up one of those tent top things or whatever near a busy intersection, and put out coroplast type signs with the name and phone number
of my business.

After the job was done I would go to all the close businesses letting them know I just did so-and-so vehicle wrap and would love to do theirs too.

Just a thought, and this is coming from someone that has never wrapped a vehicle in their life, so maybe it wouldn't work very well.. or at all.
I have always thought if I were starting out in wrapping I would do as much of the install on site at the customers location, outside, where everyone could watch.
Set up one of those tent top things or whatever near a busy intersection, and put out coroplast type signs with the name and phone number
of my business.

After the job was done I would go to all the close businesses letting them know I just did so-and-so vehicle wrap and would love to do theirs too.

I thought of this too, but I think you've really got to be an expert expert installer to do a good job on site. Being in your shop gives you access to all the right tools, and your printer is right there if you need it. You need a clean floor and in Florida there is a real issue with the heat in the summer, and the rain of course, and the bugs.

I decided not to try mobile, but I certainly had those same thoughts about visibility. I think that could work if you got those install issues dealt with.

player

Here is one company that is doing what you might aspire to. http://graphicd-signs.com/

In order for me to offer you advice I would need to see your work. Without seeing it,
how can I tell what your strengths are and how to sell them?

Just because someone buys a computer and learns some HTML does not mean they are doing
fabtabulous design work. Because they can apply decals does not mean they can design.
Because they design web sites does not mean they can design signs, vehicles etc.

I am not saying you cannot, just you are really asking for is a shot in the dark without showing us
your actual skill set...

Anyhow best of luck with your venture.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Maybe there is somewhere else I'm suppose to have an introduction that I don't know about. I don't figure I should start every forum thread with a short bio, should I?

I don't have a portfolio. I am a good designer however. It's just kind of complicated to get into my life history as to how I can be certain I'm a very good designer but don't have a portfolio.

That's why I'm asking about cold calling tips... I just wondered what worked for people who have cold-called businesses, which I know won't be everyone.

We got a live one!

There is a new member welcome forum here (some if us refer to it when answering questions so there is no need to re-type everything):
http://www.signs101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?232-New-Member-Welcome

It actually helps to know a little bit to know how to answer a question. When it comes to getting work, I don't think there is one straight answer... Like you, I'm a business consultant, there is usually no one size fits all solution.

A designer with no portfolio is like selling fruit at the farmers market and forgetting your produce... well I guess technically you are selling vinyl slapped on stuff, but you still have to have something to show. Being a designer, I know you know it's not cool to show someone else's work. I think it's interesting that you have found a way by using Pinterest for "inspiration" I'm not sure how I feel about that... since they are tagged by the original source, you are at least giving the original designers their credit.

If you don't have it, I suggest working on your own small business brand and using this book as a guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Big-Small-Business-Brand/dp/0988353903/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I personally don't have to see your work, but being on design forums for over 17 years... 12 years here... I've seen a lot of "designers" work... I'm not referring to your work but just my observation of what a lot of newbies do. What I have seen isn't horrible at all, but not exceptional either...
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?124229-Shop-logo-attempt&p=1236289#post1236289

Then there is this thread that re-read a few times for myself:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...ntion-all-newbies&highlight=attention+newbies

So what should you do?

Directed to your situation....

-- develop a portfolio, even if it's made up work, it's still your work. Maybe the work you have done is not all that great because of the client, showcase the work they should have picked. Maybe hook up with a freelancer that is willing to allow you to show their work. Then develop your marketing so at the very least you have something to mail, hand off, add to your website and social media.

-- it looks like you are trying to be a marketing firm who happens to wrap... or are you a wrap shop that happens to do marketing... define what you do but if you are a marketing firm, you might want to think about not coming off to designey or you might scare away potential marketing design agencies... of course they may appreciate that you understand how branding works.

The one size fit's all answer:

-- it's obvious, go after small business', like construction companies, service companies, and retail, but you will be dealing with muggles (non-design folk) and that can be a pain in the arse. A well designed brochure may help explain how the process works

-- Go after local marketing companies and ad agencies... the design work is usually done, the going back and forth is already done, and you will at least be able to showcase that production work (unless they require an NDA)

-- Go after leasing companies (the ones who lease and sell service trucks, vans, tractor trailers) back in the day when I worked at a wrap shop, they would either hand their client of to us, of they would include the wrap/graphics into the lease. You are getting other people to sell for you for free, not a bad deal...

-- If there are local trade magazines or associations, build up a mailing list there. Especially if they don't have advertising.

-- Shopping center management companies... many do barricade graphics for new stores and large format for their interior advertising.

-- Large apartment construction sites also do a lot of large format - like fencing banners and banners on buildings - larger management companies and developers hire marketing firms who cater to just apartment marketing...

I think I'm just going to bail out on this one. I was really looking for some specific COLD CALLING experience/tips.

I know what I don't have, which is why I have to work harder than you do to get work. I have to be willing to be laughed out of people's office. Although something tells me that won't happen much. But no business starts from zero without either a ton of money invested or a ton of effort (sometimes both).

All of the things you're talking about... portfolios, better website, better branding for ourselves, etc... all of that takes time. We'll get there, but not tomorrow.

What's that saying... "If you wait until all the lights are green, you'll never leave the house."

So I have to go in and ask for people to give me a shot.

I'll walk in the front door of large HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Garage Door, Roofing Contractors, and other similar service companies with fleets. I don't care if they already have wraps or if they don't, either way they need them. I have a decent brochure... it's not great, I'm sure if I posted it here, I would find out how utterly sucky it really is. Anyway, I'll hand them my brochure, tell them who I am and that I've just moved into a new shop down the street and I'm looking to do wraps. I'll do my best to get to the business owner. If I can do that, I'll ask about them. And then I let them talk, which they will. About themselves, about their business, about what they need, and about what they lack.

I'll listen and make eye contact so they know I'm listening and paying attention. And then we'll see what happens.

The worst case is usually that you get to talk to nobody and you just leave a card and a brochure. The best case is you have someone who's about to pull the trigger on a fleet of wraps and you get it on it. But the most common result will be that you meet someone new, get a business card from them, ask them if they would mind you adding them to your mailing list (permission marketing) and then I'll do that... I'll put them on my email list and they'll get a weekly or monthly email from me. It will look professional, it will mention specials, it will have my contact information.

Then, when they need a wrap, they're going to call me. I don't know for sure if my lack of a portfolio will ever come up the entire time because they're not worried about all the other logos or wraps I've done... they want to know what I can do for them, and that I can show them.

And that's just the people I'll be cold-calling with absolutely no introduction. I also know a ton of people in this city. I was born here and I have been a business owner here since I was... about 19 years old. I've actually always been in business for myself... so I've survived for a pretty good while on my ability to sell.

It's just been awhile since I cold-called and I've never done it for wraps specifically, so that's why I asked.

Like I said, I'm probably going to just bail on the forums. I thought maybe I could share my experience here and help someone, and maybe get help in return... but I don't need to be reminded of where I suck... I already know that and think about it way too much as it is.

TimToad

Deleted as off-topic

I received a notification that the OP had quoted me and this is the only message that has been deleted and I don't see his response to me anywhere, so I assume he had some even more snarky, negative things in response to my common sense, logical, rational answers to his initial post than the other snarky, ungrateful, negative things he's also posted to others trying to help.

I tried to offer real world questions and advice to someone looking for a magic bullet solution to his dilemma of having bought all sorts of equipment without a client base or the experience to pay for any of it. For that I guess I was insulted or rebuffed for some reason. I never got to see his post, so we'll leave it at that.

All I can say after yet another barely qualified, ungrateful newbie has thrown the legitimate advice given back in the faces of those offering it is, you should be ashamed of yourself. We all come here for the camaraderie and opportunity to share our experiences and real world expertise and you have the gall to get snippy, obstinate and challenging with any of us?

You think so much of your brochure, zero portfolio and zero experience to reject what we're all offering? Then by all means go door to door with your brochure and knock yourself out. I'll keep an eye out on the equipment liquidator sites for barely used stuff from central Florida.

I received a notification that the OP had quoted me and this is the only message that has been deleted and I don't see his response to me anywhere, so I assume he had some even more snarky, negative things in response to my common sense, logical, rational answers to his initial post than the other snarky, ungrateful, negative things he's also posted to others trying to help.

I tried to offer real world questions and advice to someone looking for a magic bullet solution to his dilemma of having bought all sorts of equipment without a client base or the experience to pay for any of it. For that I guess I was insulted or rebuffed for some reason. I never got to see his post, so we'll leave it at that.

All I can say after yet another barely qualified, ungrateful newbie has thrown the legitimate advice given back in the faces of those offering it is, you should be ashamed of yourself. We all come here for the camaraderie and opportunity to share our experiences and real world expertise and you have the gall to get snippy, obstinate and challenging with any of us?

You think so much of your brochure, zero portfolio and zero experience to reject what we're all offering? Then by all means go door to door with your brochure and knock yourself out. I'll keep an eye out on the equipment liquidator sites for barely used stuff from central Florida.

Sheesh... I'm really trying NOT to offend anyone, even though I myself have felt offended by some of the responses.

I didn't say anything "snarky" in the response I deleted. And I'm sorry me deleting it was offensive to you. What I deleted was answers to all the questions you had asked that weren't really related to what I was asking about, which was simply about Cold Calling.

You mention a "dilemma"... I don't have one of those at the moment. I was asking for "tips" about something I plan to do. I'm not at all lost and I thought my question was pretty specific regarding times of day, days of week, what types of businesses to call on, etc.

And since you had asked quite a bit, my answer was long and none of it had anything to do with the topic of the thread. Really nothing in the thread has to do with the topic of the thread.

After considering it, I realized I didn't really want to get into all of that stuff you asked about.

I'm not sure why that in and of itself would bother anyone. Somebody not wanting to talk about something they didn't bring up seems reasonable to me. I didn't ask for tips about my location, or signage, or how far I needed to drive to get work, or what associations I should join. I only asked about cold-calling.

So I went to delete my post and that wasn't an option for me, so I had to edit it, which is what you see. I wasn't saying your post was off-topic, I was saying my answer was.

So once again I find myself handling things completely wrong on these forums and I really do regret it. I don't really see where I've been snippy or obstinate and I am just like anyone else in thinking that comradery and having the opportunity to share and learn from others is a good thing.

All I can say to you, and to Rick, and to anyone else who thinks I'm some sort of "barely qualified, ungrateful newbie" is that I've given the wrong impression. I don't think you'd feel that way at all if we ever get the chance to meet in person. Please accept my sincere apologies.

TimToad

I think I'm just going to bail out on this one. I was really looking for some specific COLD CALLING experience/tips.

I know what I don't have, which is why I have to work harder than you do to get work. I have to be willing to be laughed out of people's office. Although something tells me that won't happen much. But no business starts from zero without either a ton of money invested or a ton of effort (sometimes both).

All of the things you're talking about... portfolios, better website, better branding for ourselves, etc... all of that takes time. We'll get there, but not tomorrow.

What's that saying... "If you wait until all the lights are green, you'll never leave the house."

So I have to go in and ask for people to give me a shot.

I'll walk in the front door of large HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Garage Door, Roofing Contractors, and other similar service companies with fleets. I don't care if they already have wraps or if they don't, either way they need them. I have a decent brochure... it's not great, I'm sure if I posted it here, I would find out how utterly sucky it really is. Anyway, I'll hand them my brochure, tell them who I am and that I've just moved into a new shop down the street and I'm looking to do wraps. I'll do my best to get to the business owner. If I can do that, I'll ask about them. And then I let them talk, which they will. About themselves, about their business, about what they need, and about what they lack.

I'll listen and make eye contact so they know I'm listening and paying attention. And then we'll see what happens.

The worst case is usually that you get to talk to nobody and you just leave a card and a brochure. The best case is you have someone who's about to pull the trigger on a fleet of wraps and you get it on it. But the most common result will be that you meet someone new, get a business card from them, ask them if they would mind you adding them to your mailing list (permission marketing) and then I'll do that... I'll put them on my email list and they'll get a weekly or monthly email from me. It will look professional, it will mention specials, it will have my contact information.

Then, when they need a wrap, they're going to call me. I don't know for sure if my lack of a portfolio will ever come up the entire time because they're not worried about all the other logos or wraps I've done... they want to know what I can do for them, and that I can show them.

And that's just the people I'll be cold-calling with absolutely no introduction. I also know a ton of people in this city. I was born here and I have been a business owner here since I was... about 19 years old. I've actually always been in business for myself... so I've survived for a pretty good while on my ability to sell.

It's just been awhile since I cold-called and I've never done it for wraps specifically, so that's why I asked.

Like I said, I'm probably going to just bail on the forums. I thought maybe I could share my experience here and help someone, and maybe get help in return... but I don't need to be reminded of where I suck... I already know that and think about it way too much as it is.[/QUOTe

Your passive aggressive nature is your worst enemy as to why this thread hasn't provided you with what you want out of it. Nobody here has judged or prejudged you or your talent or skills in the slightest, but you come off like you've been victimized somehow. If you honestly think that all it takes to build a successful wrap company is some door knocking, a brochure and a business card, you are in for a real education.

Get ready for smart, savvy fleet managers to ask about your application techniques, work examples, material preferences, warranty, 3M certifications, durability tips, wrap maintenance advice, etc. BEFORE they let you near one of their rigs, let alone a plump contract for 20.

We haven't come close to even discussing the actual hard work and experience printing, laminating, handling and installation of vinyl correctly and how difficult that is in the big picture.

But you're ready to "bail" on all of us who took the time to try and help because you perceive us as judging you?

RyanFelty

What about using your current client base to either set up meetings or tell them about your new wrapping program? One of the best ways of advertising is getting those first couple wraps under your belt and letting your customers advertise for you. Wrapping a company vehicle is a great advertising point too...then people can see your quality design and wrapping skills. I do not have experience cold calling but this strategy has been very effective for us. Have you wrapped a vehicle before or just starting to get into it? If you haven't had a lot of experience maybe wrap your vehicle a couple times and get some practice...then when you put that first one out it will be really good and the business will take off from there. Good Luck!

Your passive aggressive nature is your worst enemy as to why this thread hasn't provided you with what you want out of it. Nobody here has judged or prejudged you or your talent or skills in the slightest, but you come off like you've been victimized somehow. If you honestly think that all it takes to build a successful wrap company is some door knocking, a brochure and a business card, you are in for a real education.

Get ready for smart, savvy fleet managers to ask about your application techniques, work examples, material preferences, warranty, 3M certifications, durability tips, wrap maintenance advice, etc. BEFORE they let you near one of their rigs, let alone a plump contract for 20.

We haven't come close to even discussing the actual hard work and experience printing, laminating, handling and installation of vinyl correctly and how difficult that is in the big picture.

But you're ready to "bail" on all of us who took the time to try and help because you perceive us as judging you?

Ok, I hear you. I didn't mean to come off as passive-aggressive. But I might have because I was being defensive.

I've invested a lot of money. I've told my wife she can count on me. I've told my kids they can count on me. I've taken a pretty big risk and it's a risk I think we'll be ok with.

But I'm totally aware of what I don't have. I know I'm going to come up against some big hurdles. Thankfully it's down to the "work experience" hurdle for the most part. I wrapped my own truck enough times to get the laminating and application down pretty darn good. I wrapped a wicked curved bumper with carbon fiber the other day and did a fine job. And I've wrapped my wife's HHR with scraps enough times that I can handle the tail lights and that whole rear quarter section without screwing it up.

But man I know that I would be better off in a shop on a busy road and better off if I could spend a week on my logo and my brochure could be better, but I already ordered 1000 of them and it is pretty good for not having any pictures of work to include on it.

About the whole "I'm going to bail" comment...

It's about emotional energy. When you're stretched out like I am and you're feeling all those doubts about what isn't good enough... that's a tough place. So maybe I was too quick to react. I just had a rough weekend I guess. I just figured the last thing I could handle or needed was someone telling me I'm a complete idiot who's going to be out of business soon.

But I know you guys have all been through the same things, so I should have taken that into consideration before responding.