• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Tape?

mofire

Ok. Just finished a wrap on a 1966 Mustang. Having a couple of issues on the seams, some not all. It's at a car show this weekend so I went to look at it and found some issues there. We only had a couple days to design and wrap it so I wasn't able to catch everything the night we finished it. There was also another vehicle that was wrapped by another company. I noticed that all of their seams had a clear tape on them. Just curious as to what that tape really is.

"Deposit Please"

3m cast clear tape for seams. It's best to avoid seams altogether, especially if it's going to a show, but if it's there, 3m clear. Fellers carries it.

mofire

Yeah, we don't generally have seams or trouble with them. This car had a really bad paint job and the paint along the doors and under body areas were peeling the paint right off the car anytime we tried pulled for realignment or adjustments. We're just hoping they hold long enough for him to bring the car back so we can finish it up on Wedensday. I was at the show and seen this other wrap and they had put this tape (laminate) on all their seams and edges. I was going to use seam sealer (edge sealer) that we use when I seen this other and became curious. Seemed like a good idea for trouble spots. Customer is extremely happy with the outcome, but I want to make sure it lasts.

CheapVehicleWrap

Shoulda not touched the car if the paint was that bad. Seams are the least of your problems, what about the field not sticking? A wrap held on by just the seams? Now THAT's cheap.

mofire

Shoulda not touched the car if the paint was that bad. Seams are the least of your problems, what about the field not sticking?

The only places that was pulling paint was where you wrap the vinyl around the door and fender edges and like the bottom of the car. More or less, having a little paint experience, probably poor paint adhesion due to poor prep. Either way the wrap is sticking but there are a few places that I am concerned about.

The owner of the car was 100% aware of the issues and was willing to accept a no fault failure on our part. He is extremely happy.

The only complaint I heard at the show was a guy power whining that only a real paint job should ever be allowed on cars in car shows because he spent over 8000 on his paint.