• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Vinyl and normal vinyl?

Bumblebee58627

What is the difference between normal print vinyl like hexis white vinyl and wrapping vinyl?

I want to print on vinyl and wrap a car fender, but do i need special wrapping vinyl or can i use normal hexis vynil?

also i use a cheap vinyl as well called econoline, would this also work for wrapping?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Wrap vinyl is almost always 2 Mil CAST vinyl, there is a new trend I have been seeing where people buy CALENDARED vinyl and laminate with a CAST laminate for short term wraps for cheap. I think that method definitely has a spot in the marketplace but does seem a little risky in my opinion. To do a full wrap the right way you should always use a real CAST vinyl with CAST laminate. CAST vinyl does not shrink and CALENDARED vinyl does so if you choose to use a CALENDARED vinyl you have the risk of the vinyl peeling up and failing. If you put a CAST laminate over the top of the CALENDARED vinyl then the laminate will help prevent the base vinyl from contracting in theory.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
vinyl 3m IJ180-Cv3 -10
Laminate 3m 8518

Best for wrapping around crazy body panels and such. Also has a bit of stretching capability without affecting the color. Easily lifted off to readjust as needed and lay back down.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
And most wrap vinyl has air release built in to it for ease of install, no wrinkle, no bubble...harder to install a normal calendered vinyl without air release. It can be done, but for a fender, compare a 10 minute installation to a 30 minute one.

Bumblebee58627

Thanks for all replies,
i see CALENDARED and Cast vinyl, i researched it and i kind of understand it, my question now is, how do i know if the vinyl i have is calendared or cast vinyl?

is there like a code or something i can look for on the box?

do you get calendared and cast printable eco solvent vinyl also?

my hexis vinyl has a code: VM100µm <- i dont know what this code means

player

Thickness is a big hint. Cast is almost always 2ml, calendared 2.5ml and up.

Price is another giveaway. Cast is usually much more than calendared.

Longevity is a third clue. Cast will be 7 to 10 years, calendared 6 months to 5 years. (Calendared at 5 years is usually cracking.)

ams

Don't use cheap vinyl, not only will you mess up jobs and have to redo them, but your cheating your customers as well.
Cast = Long lasting, easy to conform, better print quality.
Calendared = Short term, hard to conform, decent print quality.

You must use Cast vinyls for vehicle wraps because it not only conforms but also won't shrink and peel. Starting out I tried wrapping my van and a customers van with a 5 year calendared vinyl and it was a huge mistake. It's peeling and ripping off, total failure. Don't set yourself up to fail, use the proper wrapping cast vinyls.

Also always use a Rapid Air vinyl, that way you will never get a crease or bubble again. Saves many headaches and it's only like 3 cents more per sq. ft.

ams

You are buying on Ebay aren't you? If it doesn't say cast or calendared, stay away from it.

Only buy these brands for wrapping: Oracal, Avery, "Shutter" 3M
Sometimes you can use Arlon, Roland Media, Mactec

Bumblebee58627

Thanks alot everyone, ive been in the printing business for 2 years going into 3 years now.
and I've learned alot now in this forum.

I'm from south africa, cape town.. and we have places here we buy from, I will ask the 2 companies for more info on these vinyls.