• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WrapCut Vinyl Cutting Tape - Show & Tell

Border

Hey Everyone,
In another thread, I said I would post up a review and some photos of an upcoming project using the WrapCut brand vinyl cutting knifless tape.

Just finished this Chevy Sonic using Wrapcut and 3M 1080 Gloss Black air egress vinyl and it worked great!

Customer wanted the design to follow some of the body lines perfectly (particularly around the wheel wells) so this was a great option as opposed to trying to design and plot it out and match everything up. Also used almost the full 60 inch width and I don't have a cutter that big and did not want to tile it anywhere.

Worked off of a rough sketch over a photo to lay out the tape, then cover it all in the 1080 film and pulled the tape up carefully but quickly to make sure it cuts smoothly.

For anyone considering trying the WrapCut brand of knifless tape, have no fears, it works great.

Thanks for a great product & price!

:toasting:

Attachments

• WrapCut-Sonic.jpg
    WrapCut-Sonic.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 146
  • CameraZOOM-20120807161837124.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120807161837124.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 118
  • CameraZOOM-20120807184137932.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120807184137932.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 130
  • WrapCutTape.jpg
    WrapCutTape.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 143
  • RightSide1.jpg
    RightSide1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 143
  • CameraZOOM-2012080711574500.jpg
    CameraZOOM-2012080711574500.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 146

HulkSmash

Sweet.

The fact that you're able to make the shapes that precise with the wrap cut is impressive in itself.

The most impressive thing is how good you laid down wrapcut.

The product does work great I just have not mastered laying it down straight or with that kind of detail.

Border

Sweet.

The fact that you're able to make the shapes that precise with the wrap cut is impressive in itself.

The most impressive thing is how good you laid down wrapcut.

The product does work great I just have not mastered laying it down straight or with that kind of detail.

Thanks, that probably comes from my previous life as a collision repair & custom painting guy.

Attachments

• dodge.JPG
    dodge.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 132
J

john1

Wow, Looking good!

I couldn't get it to make a super crisp clean cut on the 3M 1080 carbon fiber normal cast cut vinyl.

Border

John, you have to pull it up quickly and with confidence, and don't stop or slow down once you start pulling. Also, the angle you pull at makes a difference. Do some more practice cuts!

WrapCut

Great Job!

What an excellent use of WrapCut® Fine Filament Edge Cutting Tape! That design turned out fantastic!

John, you have to pull it up quickly and with confidence, and don't stop or slow down once you start pulling. Also, the angle you pull at makes a difference. Do some more practice cuts!

You are exactly right! In order to ensure the smoothest cut possible, it is best to keep going once you have begun pulling the cutting filament through the vinyl.

One thing I do want to mention is that WrapCut is a completely different product than Knifeless and made by a completely different company. There are many differentiating features between the two products, but the one that probably assisted you most in this project is that with WrapCut the cutting filament is ALWAYS on the edge of the tape, rather than somewhere in the middle. This allows you to know EXACTLY where the vinyl is going to be cut and allows you to follow any template or design with precision.

Border

Can't believe nobody noticed or mentioned that I misspelled "knifeless" in the Before-n-After photo... forgot the middle e!

I caught that a couple hours later but it was too late to edit the post or replace the photo.

And sorry for any confusion caused (if any) by mentioning the word knifeless. Figured I made the product name very clear by calling it "Wrapcut brand" and showing a photo of a roll of Wrapcut.

:doh:

TDFcustomSL

:U Rock:
Hey Everyone,
In another thread, I said I would post up a review and some photos of an upcoming project using the WrapCut brand vinyl cutting knifless tape.

Just finished this Chevy Sonic using Wrapcut and 3M 1080 Gloss Black air egress vinyl and it worked great!

Customer wanted the design to follow some of the body lines perfectly (particularly around the wheel wells) so this was a great option as opposed to trying to design and plot it out and match everything up. Also used almost the full 60 inch width and I don't have a cutter that big and did not want to tile it anywhere.

Worked off of a rough sketch over a photo to lay out the tape, then cover it all in the 1080 film and pulled the tape up carefully but quickly to make sure it cuts smoothly.

For anyone considering trying the WrapCut brand of knifless tape, have no fears, it works great.

Thanks for a great product & price!

:toasting:

In the printed photo you have some sharp points where two lines meet but on the finished product they are rounded, I have played around with wrapcut a couple times and had a hard time getting it to stick if I made too sharp of a curve with it, any tips or pointers? Great Work btw!!

mudmedia

That is awesome! I am sure you had to use multiple pieces of the tape to get it to make the sharp points?

Very nicely done

WB

How do you guys use the tape for handle?

Lay the tape, tuck the vinyl then plan your cut in towards the gap of the handle and pull the tape?

OlsonSigns601

Looks like Mike Tyson's econo car. Cool work but I feel you would have to have a matching face tattoo to get the full effect while driving it.