• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wraped edges vs cut

reQ

Something bothers me for some time now... I seen few jobs done by "3m cert. installers" and they don't have wraped edges, they just cut them at the edge. My question is, what is right/best way of finish, wrap or cut?

WhiteWrapper

Something bothers me for some time now... I seen few jobs done by "3m cert. installers" and they don't have wraped edges, they just cut them at the edge. My question is, what is right/best way of finish, wrap or cut?

For a pillar seams there will be something coming to split seams cleanly. Seamless wraps isn't a problem cutting on wide side. Single panels you would need to cut cleanly between the seam without this tool to wrap both edges.
Fir other seams on single panel wraps you choose which side you can tuck cleanly. Also consider if you have a wide cut you can tuck that material cleanly. Toy may need an Avery or geek curved tool to set around tight turns.

HulkSmash

We're a 3M Certified Company. We cut flush with door panels. All. Day.

I'll guarantee our flush cuts over any edge that is tucked garbage.

This is commercial wraps, not color changes

reQ

We're a 3M Certified Company. We cut flush with door panels. All. Day.

I'll guarantee our flush cuts over any edge that is tucked garbage.

This is commercial wraps, not color changes

Do you flush cut all edges or doors only? I don't do color change wraps, i only do commercial. Was wrapping edges all the time, but would like to know whats right.

Zambookajoe

there's no right or wrong

If you wrap a vehicle with a company wrap Id cut flush unless its a drastic contrast from wrap to paint

In the 3m trainings they say to cut flush, Is it the right way to go? probably for most wraps but not all

Cut the back side of the curve on the seam and wrap over. This way it looks better and wont lift when the material shrinks over time. Also be sure to clean and prep properly. Flush cuts or "shaving" look very amateur and are prone to lifting

HulkSmash

Cut the back side of the curve on the seam and wrap over. This way it looks better and wont lift when the material shrinks over time. Also be sure to clean and prep properly. Flush cuts or "shaving" look very amateur and are prone to lifting

Sure if they're cut, and installed by an amateur. Very Ignorant comment.

Sure if they're cut, and installed by an amateur. Very Ignorant comment.

Ok I've been installing professionally for over 15 yrs and if you can show where and why a flush cut on a wrap is the proper way to do it I would love to see it

wrapping the edges not only look better but protects the edge from abrasion, washing, wind etc.

but please I would love to hear your opinion

HulkSmash

Ok I've been installing professionally for over 15 yrs and if you can show where and why a flush cut on a wrap is the proper way to do it I would love to see it

wrapping the edges not only look better but protects the edge from abrasion, washing, wind etc.

but please I would love to hear your opinion

It's a fleet wrap. This is how fleets are done. Dirt is prone to get behind the tucks more than the flush cut.

Protects from Abrasion? So if you nick the edge of a flush cut against a wall, it's not going to ruin the vinyl? Wrong.

Wind? What's wind have to do with anything? Does wind blow off cut letters?

Washing? More Moisture behind panels that stays and allows failure.

But man a whole 15 years?

It's a fleet wrap. This is how fleets are done. Dirt is prone to get behind the tucks more than the flush cut.

Protects from Abrasion? So if you nick the edge of a flush cut against a wall, it's not going to ruin the vinyl? Wrong.

Wind? What's wind have to do with anything? Does wind blow off cut letters?

Washing? More Moisture behind panels that stays and allows failure.

But man a whole 15 years?

If you hit a wall or something it does not matter what type of cut is made it will be damaged

it does protect from washing more than a flush cut would

If you have an exposed edge such as a flush cut it is actually more prone it have dirt or moisture migrate into the wrap

look I'm not here to tell you that what your doing is wrong, because it is, I'm just replying to the original question as to what's better

HulkSmash

You're starting to sound silly. Please stop.

this discussion lost all merit on your part when you said wrapping around a corner of a door makes the vinyl indestructible.

qmr55

But yeah, why wrap inside? It actually causes more failures because if you don't get it down 100% around corners it will collect dirt and then fail. Cut flush all day.

reQ

Thank you for all replies. Coloradosigns, your opinion matters a lot to me, since you do gazillion wraps. Will have to try next one with flush cut

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Our solution...3M Edge Guard Strip Protectors!

We keep 50' rolls of every color in stock. We also guarantee our wraps against all customer abuse. We use graffiti guard as laminate and put clear bra on the whole hood and rocker panels.
attachment.php

...not really.

Attachments

• dooredge.jpg
    dooredge.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 116

MikePro

"normal" wraps, we cut clean to edge and hit it good with the post-heat.... has yet to fail.
color changes & "showcase" wraps, for really nice clients willing to pay an extra $$$ for the extra effort, I'll wrap the edges. I think it looks a LOT nicer, but definitely takes a LOT more effort when you could just as easily be moving-on to the next project.

the front bumper will be shredded by road debris, and/or print will be completely faded by UV exposure, before either method fails.
No one will back your warranty regardless, as they will always fall back on improper installation (which is usually the case anyways).

Bly

If you hold your knife at an angle away from the panel when flush cutting it leaves enough film to cover the edge.
As long as you can't see the paint on an advertising wrap nobody is going to complain and it will hold up as well as wrapping around.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Just curious if you guys would consider it "wrapping the edges" when you use Knifeless bridge tape to split the difference then tuck? I've found this stuff works great and as long as the area is prepped and clean it stays well.

Just wonderin'.

Most of the empty empty door seams you can get that same effect by angling the blade a bunch.
Empty solid seams you wouldn't get enough even splitting with knifeless tape to lay enough down on the solid side.
If you're going as far as using that knifeless gap tape...you are probably using separate panels of vinyl for each door anyway.