• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapped vehicles, do we need to report a color change to DMV?

Dennis422

Just finishing my wife's vehicle. Wrapping it with Orafol 970RA Aubergine bronze.
DO we have to report the color change to the DMV?

Or that is not something that needs to be done?
In case driver is stopped by the police, would they question discrepancies in the registration paperwork (Different color listed)?

Thanks

ProPDF

No you don't have to change with them. What if the vehicle was stolen and the wrap removed. The police would just run the VIN and check registration matched up worst case.

gnemmas

No you don't have to change with them. What if the vehicle was stolen and the wrap removed. The police would just run the VIN and check registration matched up worst case.

We had a Ford Escape 10 years back, removed all emblems, replaced with Porsche logos & "Caveman" model.

It is fun to have Valet parking write it as a Porsche Caveman. Few sharp guys caught it, we just had a good laugh: It is my poor man's Porsche!

TXFB.INS

We had a Ford Escape 10 years back, removed all emblems, replaced with Porsche logos & "Caveman" model.

It is fun to have Valet parking write it as a Porsche Caveman. Few sharp guys caught it, we just had a good laugh: It is my poor man's Porsche!

every vehicle I have gets shaved, can't stand how many decals / emblems the manufacture and dealer places on the vehicle

to the OP, while it is not required it is a good practice to do so in case the car gets stolen or is involved in an accident

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have a car that from the factory is a very dark almost black purple. my state bmv doesn't or didn't have purple as an option when i titled the car. so its listed as burgundy. i was pulled over late one night. the police officer decided the car was clearly black and was stolen. i informed him it was clearly purple. he wasn't very happy that everything checked out to be legit and had to let me go.
but as far as wraps go. they are considered temporarily and are expected to be removed at some point leaving the car as its original color.

Dennis422

I called DMV, Police and asked one of my friends who is Policeman.
DMV, not needed but if you want, we can print you a new registration papers with a new color ($4.50)
Police, called non emergency number, she checked with someone... no need to update.
Policeman, yes, "I believe you do have to report to DMV even if it is temporary"

Now, I do not have a clue should I do it or not!?

ExecuPrintGS

I know of a few shops that do color change that have had owners pulled over and hassled. Everyone basically says it depends on the state you live in and the officer that pulls you over.
Rule of thumb is if you do the door jams it is best to report it. If you dont, you can always open the door and show them the paint color.

worthy1

My take on it (even from another country) is that its not a ticketable/defectable issue. In my state in Australia we are meant to inform our version of the DMV, other states are not. Again all the police can do is recommend we get it changed rather than give a ticket for it.

You have to also think, they aren't driving around comparing the system to the colour. The will really only do that if you have done something wrong or draw attention. If it was defectable you wouldn't be able to signwrite a car, what would they put in the system for a multi-colour car....

Maybe more importantly is to notify the insurance company. We all know they like to get out of a claim with anything they can. 'sorry we have your car as blue in the system, its red, you are meant to notify us of changes, we cant process you claim'...