• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Wrapping a food truck over existing graphics... help!

Braggadoon

Hey out there - we are getting ready to tackle a new project, and would love any suggestions from my sign and graphics community. Our client has recently purchased a food truck with existing graphics, and would like for us to go over the graphics with a black wrap. The new graphics are very modern and minimal, and we will be installing those over the wrap with white cast vinyl. We have hired a really good auto detailer we work with to prep the surface including buffing out trouble areas where the lam has lifted from the existing vinyl. Knowing that our wrap will only hold up as well as what is underneath can anyone provide any insight as to whether we completely bananas to attempt this? Our plan as of this moment is to go with 3m 1080 S12 (satin black) as the base wrap film - unless, of course, anyone has a better idea? Any input is welcomed and certainly appreciated! See attached images for what we are up against...
IMG-3365.JPG
IMG-3369.JPG

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Best option is to remove the existing graphics completely and totally. What you are going to find is that every rivet, screw, edges, etc are not going to go down nearly as nice as it would otherwise.

That being said. We have done it but we will not warrant the materials or installation is a customer insists that we wrap over. That can be simply because they are cheap, the existing graphics are just in such bad condition that removal will simply be crazily expensive, the vehicle or new graphics might only be needed for a very short time, or they simply do not care.

TimToad

The material doesn't look that aged from the photos.

If it was me, I'd try to remove a small section as a test to see if its a good quality wrap material, which if it is should come off without too much effort. That wrap can't be more than a couple years old.

You'd probably have less labor time doing a full removal if the material is decent than paying a detailer to do all that buffing and such, little of which is going to help your media stick any better. Why mess around with half measures when you want your work to last and represent you in the best possible way?

If you don't want to do the removal or they are on a budget, instruct the client on how to do it and tell them to bring you the truck after they are done.

Braggadoon

Thank you both - I think we will do a test removal, just to see where we are at. You're right - the rivets will be a nightmare x 1 million with the existing vinyl overlay.
Offering them an option of with and without removal, especially with no warrant on the graphics once they are installed will be the way to go. And its true - we are in a small town up here, and these folks are part of my community - their success is our success....

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Remove the old graphics. Having an auto detailer remove "trouble areas" is absurd. If it is failing now, just wait and see what a mess you will have when you cover it with new adhesive vinyl.